Hello,

This error has nothing to do with the product key (SYS664) because there
is no error about a security violation here, and it has nothing to do
with a corrupted object or your authority to these objects (you would
get an error about either of those that is totally different from
MCH3601).

The Pointer Not set error when found in an ILE program like this most
often means that a parameter was incorrectly sent in or not sent in at
all or a variable that was supposed to have data in it, does not have
data in it when the program goes to use that data. This is how ILE
languages surface these errors.

Did you check the parameters and source for these programs before you
called them? They have changed drastically in V8.3 compared to other
earlier releases. Starting at 8.2 the whole way of setting up the
previously called 'Workstation data area' was changed (now called 'Job
Control Data Area'). Previously some overrides were retrieved from the
LDA, some from the Workstation Data Area and some from the System
Control Data area.

In V8.2 and up processing was streamlined and simplified to set up the
LDA with all override information when entering LX/BPCS (creating new
JCDA from SYS041 defaults if it did not already exist) and after that,
SYS008C always only looks at LDA, never again looks at JCDA.

SYS011C is used to set up the JCDA and LDA by SYS500CC. It brings up
display panels to let the user set this up - so if you are doing this in
batch you might want to look at duplicating the set up without bringing
up the panels by reviewing the CL source for SYS500CC, SYS026C. I am
assuming you did purchase CL source, and therefore can review this. If
not, you will need to contact SSA to obtain this.

My guess for this SYS008C error is that not all the positions in the LDA
for printing and other overrides were properly set and so can't be
retrieved. Is SYS041D correctly set up for defaults to populate a new
Job Control Data area?. You have to make sure the values are set up
before you can retrieve them to build a new JCDA.

Or do you already have a Job Control data area set up for the job that
is running this? Is it a batch job or an interactive one? The LDA is
normally set up by SYS500CC which calls SYS011C when entering LX, and
then you can use SYS008C to retrieve values.

Did you also note the narrative in SYS011C:

/* PROGRAM ID   - SYS011C                                            */
/* PROGRAM NAME - Retrieve Overrides from Job Control Data Area      */
/*                                                                   */
/* Note: This program should not be called by non-SYS programs to    */
/*       retrieve overrides. Instead use SYS008C to retrieve *LDA    */
/*       settings. The *LDA is updated when the JCDA is changed and  */
/*       is also sent down with batch jobs.                          */

Thanks,

Genyphyr Novak
Senior System Software Engineer
SSA Global R&D

message: 3
date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 23:20:44 +0200
from: "Jszarlik" <jszarlik@xxxxxx>
subject: [BPCS-L] Pointer not set for location referenced

Hello,
I am in version 8.3 and I try to call sys008C program in my CL program
and I receive the following error message:

Display All Messages
System:   ASTY01
Job . . :   LRPP100C      User . . :   BP83F202      Number . . . :
876002

parameters */
5400 - RTVDTAARA DTAARA(SSASYS) RTNVAR(&SYSDTAARA) 6000 - RTVMSG
MSGID(LEA0003) MSGF(SSAZ01) MSG(&PGMTXT) 6100 - RTVJOBA JOB(&WSID)
USER(&USER) NBR(&JBNR) DATE(&YEXDTE)
TYPE(&TYPE) DATFMT(&USRFMT)
7200 - CALL PGM(IIT031E)          /* The CALL command contains
parameters */
18100 - CALL PGM(*LIBL/SYS008C)          /* The CALL command contains
parameters */
7100 - RTVDTAARA DTAARA(*LDA (1 550)) RTNVAR(&LDA) Pointer not set for
location referenced.
Function check. MCH3601 unmonitored by SYS008C at statement 0000008400,
instruction X'0000'.
MCH3601 received by procedure SYS008C. (C D I R)

I have the same problem with SYS011C.
Could anyone explain me what happens wrong here?

Jarek
SKC Poland.

------------------------------

message: 4
date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 21:07:08 -0400
from: rkhbit@xxxxxxx
subject: Re: [BPCS-L] Pointer not set for location referenced

Either the object has been corrupted, doesn't exist, or you don't have
the proper authority.

------------------------------
message: 5
date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 07:27:45 +0100
from: "Clare Holtham" <clare.holtham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [BPCS-L] Pointer not set for location referenced

Hi Jarek,

Have you set up the LDA?? Try calling SYS664 parm SYS664 before you call
any BPCS pgm from outside BPCS - that would give you a 'security
violation' at V6, not sure if it works the same way in V8 though...

cheers,

Clare