Thanks, I'll study these ideas and see what happens.
Thanks again

>1.   Yes..  bill goods.. and release inventory to ship at another
>time.

Take a look at the ORDER TYPES.
You can have orders that update receivables sales inventory ... take
your
pick of combinations.  We use several kinds of customer orders:
* We ship to customer and book all accounting same day.
* The customer is another of our facilities, so we want to transfer
the
inventory but avoid having receivables and payables on ourselves.
* The customer has a quality problem ... they may return the parts
for
repair at our cost, so the RMA and re-ship are NOT mirror images.
* The customer has had a revision change and they want us to modify
some
prior shipments to the new revision.

In your case you might consider creating a pair of orders.
Then in notes to be printed on the corresponding invoices and/or
shipping
paperwork
(a) here are the $ charges ... the inventory shipment will go out on
order
# such & such at no charge
(b) this is a no charge confirmation that the inventory just went
out ...
the original $ billing was on order _____

You might consider populating the Purchase Order # field of one of
the
orders with the order # of the other.

>2.   Basically  a version of  send an order.. then send a release to
>ship.
>The business model in the old "mainframe" system actually has a
>separate order for the original and another order for the release
and
>it keeps it in sync.

Create a warehouse holding area which is in the name of the customer
for
whom you are holding shipments.  The inventory there is packed ready
ship, with the shipping paperwork and copy of invoice attached, if
that is
your business model, and clearly labeled with customer part
identification
so it can be read off of the shelves from a distance ... we use an
approach
similar to this for customers who pay us to have minimum balance
safety
stock in our shipping warehouse.  They phone us and ask for XXX to
be
shipped the same day.  We remove from the shelf, adjust customer
order to
have a line to have XXX due out that same day, pick it ship it
invoice it,
and that nite the MRP regen sees we need to issue a shop order to
replenish
XXX in the customer warehouse.