Remember that BPCS is licensed to serial # of AS/400 or iSeries hardware, so you have to get a software key from SSA for BPCS to be able to run on the new serial #. If you no longer on SSA tech support, the pricing to move the license can be significantly more than the cost of the replacement iSeries box, like perhaps ten times the cost of the hardware, which you need to know before signing any hardware replacement contracts. There has been past BPCS_L threads discussing this dimension, and trying to get a sense of its severity.

Don't forget to check the IBM web site on APARs and PTFs ... someone here will tell you the url if you not have it handy (I don't) or get to the IBM tech support site, get to APARs first then search for BPCS on that site. There is a wealth of info there about what kinds of PTFs you get, such as the data base set.

While BPCS version 4 is straight RPG/400, we have many modifications in which embedded SQL has been used, and we have a very few using RPG ILE. While Client/Server BPCS aps should not be an issue prior to V6, we also have 3rd party stuff connecting to BPCS, such as UPS World Ship. You also may have modifications that do not match the standard BPCS patterns, including checking with suppliers of any 3rd party software you expect to continue to use after the upgrade.

We once had a problem in an OS/400 upgrade with a 3rd party supplier of Client Access emulation. Plus we are finding that some newer printers do not support handshakes with AS/400 that older printer models supported. That is a MIDRANGE_L topic but I just listing some dimensions you may wish to be aware of.

We are BPCS 405 CD / OS/400 V5R1 / AS/400 model 170
no intention of upgrading from there any time soon
If we ever do upgrade, there will also be an issue of needing access to some intermediate box because of what OS/400 versions are supported on what iSeries boxes

-
Al Macintyre  http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor ... see
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html

Hello Tom,

Yes, I believe there are quite a few issues that you need to be aware of here. We did an upgrade of our AS/400 box (730) to an iSeries (520) on OS/400 release V5R3. There are a few SQL issues that one has to be aware of during this transition. Also, we had problems running our Client/Server BPCS apps (CEA/OLM) on V5R3. You would need to make sure that you load all the IBM PTFs first on V5R3 that will take care of SQL issues that are known problems with SSA BPCS apps. Then, contact SSA to get their BMRs to fix some more of these SQL issues to ensure BPCS apps work fine on V5R3. However, remember that we have BPCS 6.0.04 version, so I don't know if you will have the same set of issues with your version of BPCS, may not have any issues at all, or have new set of issues. I would suggest you contact your SSA support person.

Venu Gopal

Today's Topics:

  1. BPCS V4 on V5R3 (Tom Jedrzejewicz)
  2. Re: BPCS V4 on V5R3 (mrogers@xxxxxxxxxxx)

message: 1
date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:22:12 -0700
from: Tom Jedrzejewicz <tomjedrz@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: [BPCS-L] BPCS V4 on V5R3

Greetings ...

We are on BPCS 4.0.03 with custom Y2K mods. We preparing to upgrade our iSeries, to a box that requires V5R3. While I have no reason to believe that there will be any issues (we are on V5R1 now, and old BPCS is straight RPG),
I think it prudent to ask ....

Do any of you know of any issues with the pre-V6 versions of BPCS on V5R3?

Thanks
--
Tom Jedrzejewicz
tomjedrz@xxxxxxxxx