There's another scenario worth checking.
It may be that the scenario I go into in this e-mail has nothing to do with your problem, but this is at the stage of eliminating the usual suspects, or finding what is responsible so it can be fixed.

Billing occurs via a batch process. If that process got interrupted, and not properly cleared before restarting, you have guaranteed garbage.

Run a query over ECH.HINUSE to find out whether there are customer orders in use ... also do this for member RETURN
If you are lucky, there are only a few, which can be fixed with DFU.
We have a scenario where shipping PC goes down, and it leaves 100% of the orders for one customer in that condition, so we have a mass fixit program
1. tell everyone to get off of customer orders
2. use GO CMDLCK vs. ECH to verify they all offf
3. run the mass fixit program

1. Try to determine what work station address(es) have been used to do the Billing involving the problems. Get those work station names changed, or get the people doing the billing to use different ones, and see if the problem goes away (stops happening). While you are at it, WRKSYSCFG *DEV make sure all work station addresses in use are BPCS compliant (7 characters or less). We have had some incidents of weirdness where people setup Client Access with addresses valid for AS/400 but invalid for BPCS, had some orders in a batch, then deleted one of the orders before the batch to a conclusion.

2. Take a look at where BPCS stores billing, and other data outside of BBL file, but also in work areas associated with the files of work stations. A physical file can have infinite members, but I think the ceiling on a logical is 32. We have had some problems with files having excess numbers of members. Use *OUTFILE to get a dump of your BPCS file definitions, then run a query to identify which files have multiple members, then look at the actual lists of what they are called for files that have more than a handful ... I predict you will find customer order and billing files with excess numbers of members of unfinished work that needs some kind of cleaning up.

Work station members is something that there is a lot about in BPCS archives, not discussed recently. There may be other stuff of relevance in the archives ... various things that can go wrong with BIL500 and how best to use SYS993.

Also use DSPOBJD type *DTAARA in BPCS libraries to an *OUTFILE then compare contents to try to identify scenarios in a crashed condition.

You see what happens is
1. work station has a crash ... user not tell anyone in IT computer services
2. we how have incomplete batch work files sitting out there on that work station
3. someone uses that work station for the same kind of job
4. we have another crash, with the work areas setup with the conditions to have yet another crash

IT needs to be able to find work stations in that condition, without the end users involved having volunteering that they have this kind of situation. Because even though you will have users who tell IT when strange stuff happens, other times IT not find out for a while, so it helps to have diagnostics you can run regularly to identify where there are problem areas.

We copied a few options off SYS/23 menu to other menus for reorganization steps, to regularly clean up negative requirements which can contribute to on-hand not adding up right, and other problems, also a menu for general fixing. SYS993C is used to reset a work station's batches after a crash. There's a lot of end users who might be in the middle of some BPCS task and their PC goes down. They reboot, sign back onto BPCS, and restart whatever they were doing, and think nothing of it, but that practice can be the cause of a lot of garbage into BPCS. You can ask, but the odds are, the people involved may have no memory of these kinds of events.

SYS/23/21 we copied to FXS/50 so less chance of typo with IT person fixing stuff and taking wrong SYS menu option. If there are other repairs needed, this should be the last step of the repairs, because sometimes it blanks out info you need to navigate the other repairs.

SYS/4 check parameters last correct invoice #

In addition to "recovering" the batch status check point using SYS993, you also need to look at where the process is within the individual records of the batch ... look at BBL under a microscope, especially "invoice status" which may need to be blanked out so when the batch restarts, it not get hung on the same places it was hung the prior time.

3. There may need to be an audit effort to make sure that what went on SIH SIL is correct. Much of that info comes from BBL (which is now gone), ECH ECL ECS ESH ESL DSBDBR will tell you if you have any messed up connections like Kasp suggested Also look at RTX file which gets populated before RAR file ... one may look right, while the other is messed up.

We found it expedient to add a few more logicals to help when cleaning up this kind of problem

4. Check modification history vs. patterns of data. We modified our billing, and everything ran fine for years, and then the pattern of data changed, invalidating several assumptions of the modifications.

The kinds of problems we have with 405 CD may not be same as you
* Flakey ma bell connection
* Flakey electrical company, particularly during weather fronts (heavy wooded area with seasonal wind directions tree limbs vs. public utilities lines)
* PCs with more "stuff" on board than the gas for them all
* non-IBM network which sometimes drops AS/400 connections
* conflicts with other users, who trying to update some order at same time as we trying to bill it GO CMDLCK option 8 & know how to navigate this * shipping dept tells accounting "we are done shipping for the day" and they go home, then some rush situation, and the people handling it do not have shipping how-to handy, which includes notifying accounting NOT so we have a humongous conflict created
* Incomplete customer orders that get shipped
* customer orders used for stuff other than customer orders that get shipped by accident * people checking shipping paperwork say "oops" we picked wrong quantity, order line, item, you name it ... and ask that we fix the data stream before invoicing
* modifications that cause decimal data errors (I hope all of these fixed)
* bugs in BPCS (many we have now fixed)

We run a process we call "pre-billing" to look for standard common oops that can be fixed before doing the invoicing, such as profit center out of sync with facility, pricing out of whack, the list of possibilities almost infinite

5. Check security on who can change, and change back the controls involved. I have used GO CMDREF to create an *OUTFILE of BPCS connections for the purpose of a query to identify what all programs can update a given file, to catch the unexpected linkages

If the problem is on-going, you might want to journal or log the file(s) getting garbage, to make sure that all programs writing to those files are the ones you expect to be doing so. (last resort)

Al Macintyre

Doug wrote:
It seems odd that such wildly strange data is showing up in your
production data.

Do you have a dev/test environment that is being actively used ? Is it
possible that someone copied LFs from prod to test and they is still
pointing back to the prod PFs ?

I have seen it happen and it would explain why garbage is showing up in
the prod data.

Doug McLauchlan

Kylea White <kylea.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[BPCS-L] RE: Negative Invoice Number on RAR

Hi Al,

It is actually a little more messy than that.  No-one has touched any of
the numbering.  As I dug deeper yesterday I noticed that the information
for the invoices on RAR contained some other strange information also.
i.e.  The corporate customer linked to the sold-to customer was not the
one specified on the customer master (no one has changed this either) and
the records with the negative invoice numbers also appear with a customer
type which is currently not used.

The invoice was not the result of post ship billing - it is a Type 1
invoice.  It is like the system has grabbed another invoice from somewhere
or details when creating the invoice, - but I am only clutching at straws.

All I can think to do now is
1)               Run a query over SIH & SIL to look for invoice and
document
numbers that are less than zero.
2)               Go to the Sys menu and run option 14 to re number the
corp
customer details and then 7 to recalculate the balances.

Any other thoughts on this one.......

Regards,

Kylea White
Technical Consultant
KAZ Technology Services
Switch: +61 8 6212 0100
Fax:      +61 8 9225 6748

Email     kylea.white@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web      www.focalsystems.com.au

A KAZ Technology Services Company - visit our website at
http://www.kaz-group.com