Hello,

Hello Shalom,

I am not sure what release of BPCS you last managed as you didn't
mention it in your note, nor if you have been following the many
discussions on BPCS-L for these security related issues over the past
few years? If you check the archives there are much more detailed
discussions that can explain the below even further.

At any rate the situation you describe has certainly changed for clients
who are on support or remained current on BPCS releases.

Problem A can be resolved in any currently supported release of BPCS
(BPCS CD - V6.1) by implementing BMR 51582 (or equivalent BMR, depending
on BPCS release) and is delivered in base release of V8.x releases by
following the installation instructions Appendix regarding implementing
increased security. This uses *OWNER adopted authority and iSeries
object security to ensure the user doesn't have that authority to CALL a
program or use files they are not authorized to and alters the command
line and ATTN key programs to ensure the user operates under his own
authority when at the command line.

Problem B is in fact resolved in V6.1 and higher releases, regardless of
the user's authority to the object. It can be easily resolved in other
releases if you have the source for that program, by adding a call to
SYS610B to check the user's authority to run SYS600D before launching
the first screen.

Problem C same resolution as problem A and since BPCS data files are
part of the iSeries database, the iSeries security is what must be used
to lock it down when access is attempted from outside the BPCS product
as you describe.

Problem D same resolution as problem A, same issue as issue C.

Problem E can be resolved by journaling as stated or using products
designed for high availability such as Mimix.

Thanks,

Genyphyr Novak
Senior System Software Engineer
SSA Global R&D