We are bpcs o/s version: 6.01.01

This is a complex topic. Look at the archives; follow sql tuning advice; there
is excellent advice from key contributors. Especially from Al M. and Genyphr.

Here are some of the easier things you can try that worked for me. Do it on a
quiet system and make sure you have a backup of the files:
1. I would purge ZPD independent of anything else. The only thing WE USED IT
FOR  after an order completes is reprint. I got some improvement gains by
writing an sql that hard deleted closed records over 30 days old. Then I
re-org'd zpd.
2. Are you re-orging files ? I got a huge gain  when I re-orged the IPP file
weekly. ELA is another one to look at. Do a dspfd ela and look at the number of
deleted records. If over 15%, do a rgzpfm (quiet system).
3. Do a prtsqlinf ORD550B1 ; look at the spool file.  Look for the estimated
query run time. Anything over 1 second deserves research.
        SQL4020  Estimated query run time is 2 seconds.
4. If you start deleting any other files; DON"T or BE CAREFUL. Widows and
orphans are a bad thing in BPCS and will cause problems. I wrote a purge; took
me a long time to perfect (months of work). But - we have over 800,000 orders
and 4,000,000 lines; we had to purge.
5. Find duplicate keys; they will cause an index build.

So - again - here is my disclaimer. The above items did wonders for us for
response time. They are not meant to be an exhaustive list but are a start.

IF you really want to short-circuit project time and have a couple $$$; look to
a third party product like Locksmith from Unbeaten Path...  You owe me Milt.