From: Sue Wyatt <SWyatt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Ron Harter <RHarter@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 14:27:50 -0600
Subject: [BPCS-L] Less than a Whole number

We are on the 6.0.4 version of BPCS, we are trying to set up something
that will allow us to build 2% more than what is forecasted. Example:
the forecast is for the finished goods item (in this case a vending
machine), we have a component say a tray that gets welded and then
painted before it goes to the assembly line to be assembled into the
finished good. If the finished good requires 6 per each finished good
per the BOM, and we forecast that we are going to build one, then the
requirement for the welded and painted part is 6 each provided there is
no inventory on hand. We would like to be able to build 7(or 2% of the
6: which is .12) we can not build .12 of a unit. We would like the
system to indicate to the planner that they need to open the order for 7
instead of the 6.

So, what we have done is used the yield found in the item master,
however this creates fractions because of the way BPCS calculates
things.So what the planner sees in the MRP540 and the MRP300 is 6.12.
Is there not some program or programs within BPCS that we could turn on
or off the decimals depending on the unit of measure? These decimals
appear in the MRP records, the INV records. I have checked the archives
but was unable to find anything. The only thing that I was able to come
up with is that the FMA records would need to be changed to make the
inventory more accurate but the FMA records only cover material
requirements for shop orders.

Could someone lead me in the right direction? Anything would be greatly
appreciated

Susan A. Wyatt
Production Control Coordinator
The Wittern Group