From: bpcs-l-bounces+beldencdt=tiscali.nl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bpcs-l-bounces+beldencdt=tiscali.nl@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Al Mac
Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:20 PM
To: BPCS_L discussion
Subject: [BPCS-L] Tips / *OUTFILE & XL

This post is not a question, more like an offer that info is available.

Our Local Evansville AS/400 User Group just had a meeting in which we
exchanged tips and techniques.  I talked about how I use *OUTFILE to
manage
BPCS resources and other 400 objects, such as when someone wants to know
if
we have a report to do "X" it is real helpful that I have a directory of

our queries etc. sorted by "X".

This kind of how-to info may also be of interest to this group.
    * There is the issue of BPCS work areas named after work stations we

not have any more, and also Device Management ... this is a fast way of
finding if someone has configured a work station that is illegal for
BPCS
operations.
    * *OUTFILE directory of BPCS files to tell us when we need to reorg
them, and which may need resizing due to inappropriate sizes.
    * We have thousands of query/400 and hundreds of add on RPG reports
*OUTFILE directory sorted by their description so we can look up when
there
is a new interest ... do we already have a solution.
    * Security Management and BPCS inter-relationship navigation without

the risks of XRF
    * Backup recovery aid
    * There's probably other applications for *OUTFILE that I not
stumbled
over yet.

Another speaker to the group talked about stuff you could do with 400
data
to Microsoft Excel.  Well we have been sending BPCS reports to Excel but

not to the degree this guy said was doable, so I am now on a hunt for
links
with step by step how to get from 400 to EXCEL and how to code MACROS in

EXCEL so that when someone opens an EXCEL linked to the 400 they get the

latest BPCS story.

-
Al Macintyre  http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers