    We have a purchased part X001 that used to be bought already plated.
Due to some vendor issues, we have
    recently started dealing with two vendors on this part - vendor x is
    providing the aluminum to vendor y who is doing the plating.  This has
    caused several different problems - some in accounting having to match
    invoices to do the costing.  There are approximatley 40 different
aluminum
    barstocks that have to be matched from each of the two vendors and the
cost
    consolidated for item X001.  Another problem has been in purchasing
and
    receiving trying to keep track of what parts are where.

    We're thinking of creating two child items under X001  - one for the
    aluminum and one for the plating.  This way the two could be costed
    independently of eachother and the total costs would be correct. Also,
    this eliminates the need to go out and change all the BOM's that have
X001
    and it gives us flexibility if we ever go back to buying pre-plated.
In
    this scenario, purchasing would issue two different PO's.  When the
invoice
    would be received from the aluminum vendor (and the qty's verified by
the
    plater via a shipping manifest), the aluminum would be costed at this
time.
    When the plated parts are invoiced, the costing of the plating would
be
    done at that time.  Does this sound like a logical approach?

    Also, what is the best way to handle the inventory transactions?  One
    person thinks it would work best to have a shop order put out for item
X001
    at the same time the PO's are cut.  Any suggestions would be much
    appreciated.  Thanks!

Jenny Carr
The Durham Company
jgcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx