Version 405 CD

We also have situations where customers have PO#s with line #s and they want our shipments and invoices to them to say which of their lines we are shipping to them. We currently handle this by having in the ECL NOTES what that line# on original customer document relates to, then various subsequent modifications pick up what is in those notes and plunk it onto shipping and billing documents.

You might consider a modification that writes a record to ECL NOTES, and updates wherever ECL keeps track of sequence #s for this. Assuming the due date of the shop order is in sync with the due date for the customer order line item, you ought to be able to match shop orders on end items with customer order line that it is for, then use that to add a line to ECL NOTES identifying the shop order #, and as your modification does so, update the shop order comment field with data from the customer order such as the line # of the customer order. The modification would know to only do this for shop orders released today date whose comment field is not yet populated.

We also have a tracking topic associated with subsequent discovery that some part was not made to specifications. If we knew the shop order that made it, then labor history can back track part of the way.

We have made extensive modifications in this area.
Strictly speaking there is nothing in any of our shop orders pointing to a particular customer order and there is nothing in a particular customer order pointing at a particular shop order. We use MRP CAP and modified DRP.
MRP populates a date in dependent orders with when MRP thinks something ought to be made based on changes to customer orders ... we compare this date to the human planned date quite heavily to identify production that ought to be rescheduled due to changes in customer requirements.

1. Our end item #s are uniquely by customer ... make to order
2. We have a field in the item master that gets populated for end items ... what customer is this for?
3. When running a variety of reports for production ... MRP250, SFC230, SFC520 (all modified to the point that some are no longer recognizable vs. BPCS vanilla) ... the production management people and shop floor personnel get to see what customer they making this for.
4. Our custom factory paperwork for various component items ... at print time, it goes up BOM where used to locate end item(s) this sub-assembly being made for that do in fact have current requirements, and what customer is that for, then print this info on the factory paperwork.
5. The reports associated with current WIP, we have totally altered so as to sequence based on setup criteria ... color, length, common features ... and this too shows what customer this or that being made for

If the customer # changes ... for example a division of the original customer ... then we change field in the item master of the end item, and all these child places get the new story.

With MRP300 you can look at something being made in shop orders and use pegging to identify the customer order that it is being made for, but if you have many levels, and many items of interest, this can get a bit tedious to drill up through.

One of my collegues made a query/400 in which a user keys in the end item parent of interest ... it accesses the parent item in current FMA open shop order material requirements, then connects the child in the FMA to any FSO orders currently open on those kids ... thus a person at inquiry can see down one level something that is a bit easier to read than SFC350 ... where we are on fulfilling some customer order, and where the bottlenecks are, one level down.

I have a modification that goes down the BOM to link end item (highest level) vs. child item (lowest level) ... basically saying how many of what children are needed to make all these end items.
The modification is tied to billing history to get at how many of which end items we shipped last month, month before etc. to which customers in which facilities.
This then deduces how much of which raw material items from which vendors we must have needed to have purchased to satisfy each customer's shipments, assuming no scrap
It is a general picture, not an exact one.

we occasionally take customer orders where the item numbers on the
order lines are identical. (ie ship one of these per month for the next
10 months)

we custom build each line so we cut a separate work order for each
line, (one per month). when we cut the work order we specify the
customer order it is for.

i can tie the shop order to the customer order on customer order and
part number. this works except when we have multiple lines of the same
part number on the same order. is there any way to specify on the work
order the customer order and customer order line that the work order is
for? or is there a way to update the ECL record to specify what shop
order was cut for this specific line?

chick doe
prime measurement products

-