Many VPN client software packages cannot coexist on the same pc with any
other VPN client.  For this reason, I would try to choose a VPN firewall
solution that is compatible with the Windows VPN client (if your security
gurus and specs permit).  This way, your client pcs do not have to install
a VPN client and you won't have that implementation and maintenance hassle.
In addition, if you utilize contract employees or consultants, your VPN
requirements will not pose a problem for them to connect if they already
have a VPN client installed (employee home computers are another reason).
In addition, the client license cost is reduced.

Some VPN firewalls do not allow tunneling over a DSL or Cable solution.  Be
sure to check that out if you have remote sites or employees with DSL or
cable  (any NAT type arrangement) internet connections.  Be aware of the
ports utilized by both the SSL and non-SSL Client Access so that you don't
have a conflict with any proprietary port requirements of the VPN firewall
as well.

There are also appliance solutions and connectivity via a simple Windows NT
(RAS) or Windows 2000 (Terminal Server) solution that are cheaper and
simpler to maintain especially if all you want is AS/400 connectivity and
not true full VPN access to all network facilities/services.

|--------+--------------------------->
|        |          akleier@robbinsfl|
|        |          oor.com          |
|        |          Sent by:         |
|        |          bpcs-l-bounces@mi|
|        |          drange.com       |
|        |                           |
|        |                           |
|        |          11/06/2003 07:33 |
|        |          AM               |
|        |          Please respond to|
|        |          "SSA's BPCS ERP  |
|        |          System"          |
|        |                           |
|--------+--------------------------->

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:     "SSA's BPCS ERP System" <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                          |
  |       cc:
                                          |
  |       Subject:     Re: AS/400 Connectivity from Remote Sites
                                          |

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

We use a VPN tunnel as the primary connection between our main office in
Cincinnati and a manufacturing facility in Northern Michigan.  After
getting the correct firmware updates to the firewalls, the connection
works very well.  It it much faster and less expensive than the frame
relay we had before.

Fell free to call with any questions.

Tony Kleier
Senior Systems Analyst
Robbins, Inc.
513.619.5957

TLuce@xxxxxxxx
Sent by: bpcs-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
10/08/2003 12:34 PM
Please respond to
"SSA's BPCS ERP System" <bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

bpcs-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
AS/400 Connectivity from Remote Sites

We are evaluating going with a VPN solution rather than our current frame
solution for connectivity of our remote sites.  The cost is dramatically
lower (thousands per month!), but the big question is reliability.  We are

running BPCS versions 4.05 CD, 6.02, 6.04, and 6.1.02.  Three of these
environments are already centralized onto one AS/400, the remaining two
will be migrated within the next 6 months.  Note:  the sites would be
throughout the US plus Toronto CAN and Monterrey MEX.

Is anyone successfully using a VPN solution for remote connectivity while
utilizing Client Access for green screen?  What were your experiences?
Has anyone tried this and failed - if so, what were the issues that caused

this solution not to work?

I look forward to your responses - thanks!

Timothy C. Luce, MBA, CPIM
Director of Application Development
ESAB - North America
tluce@xxxxxxxx

This communication and any files transmitted with it contain information
which is confidential and which may also be privileged. It is for the
exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended
recipient(s), please note that any disclosure, copying, printing or use
whatsoever of this communication or the information contained in it is
please notify the author and then delete the e-mail together with any
copies of it.

Information or opinions in this message that do not relate to the business
of ESAB shall be treated as neither given nor endorsed by it.  ESAB does
not accept liability for any changes which may occur in transmission due
to network, machine or software failure or manufacture or operator error.
Although this communication and any file(s) transmitted with it are
believed to be free of any virus or any other defect which might affect
any computer or IT system into which they are received and opened, it is
the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free and
no responsibility will be accepted by ESAB for any loss or damage arising
in any way from receipt or use thereof.
at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.