Ravi,

If you are new to MPS & MRP, I strongly suggest to take a full class (or get some on-site help) as there are many, many pieces of information that go into this process and eMail may not be the best vehicule to do knowledge transfer. However, I'll give you some pointers based on my BPCS experience. I really do not know how much of the theory of MPS/MRP you have, but that is also absolutelly critical so you understand why BPCS has the files and fields it does...

At the very top of MPS/MRP you have the basic questions of:
1. What and when do I need to produce (forecast or customer orders)
2. What do I have in stock (inventory balances)
3. What does it take to make the products I need to make (Bills of materials and product routings)
4. What do I have coming (purchase orders and/or shop orders)

The forecast you specify in MRP100 (file KMR) and it allows you to specify on an item-by-item basis and time period, the amount of product you would like to produce. Please consider that BPCS is a bucket-less MPS/MRP system, which means, you the user, control the specific dates (start and end dates) when the products will be manufactured.

Working in tandem with the forecast you have the famous item master (IIM) and facility planning data (CIC) files. These files allow you to configure all the attributes to have BPCS create the MPS/MRP plan as your plant(s) require. Among others, you have the following fields which are critical...
a. Master schedule item b. Planning policy c. Lot size d. Horizon days e. Demand codes
f. requirements code g. Lead time h. Minimum balance i. Stocking UOM j. Std. Batch Size
Again, it will require hours to show you how all the attributes mentioned above can be setup to have BPCS create the plan you need. The best thing is a class or on-site help...

At the MPS (or finished good) level, once you run the MPS explosion (MRP500) program, BPCS will go through the forecast and/or customer orders, match it against your inventory balance (files ILI, IWI, IIM) and suggest planned orders. These are what you have to produce to meet your product demands (the file where these orders are stored is KFP). BPCS the concept of a planned order and a firmed planned order. The difference being that planned orders are deleted and regenerated every time you run the explosion. Firmed planned orders are the result of the analysis made by the planner and once firmed, (program MRP510 will allow you to change a planned to firmed order) BPCS will not change or delete.

Once you have the demand created (the net balance between your inventory demand and supply), you need to move to the materials and capacity you need to manufacture them. This is where the bills of materials and routing comes into play. Through the requirements explosion (MRP600), BPCS will take the finished good requirements, the bills of material, and the inventory balances for all the components and come up with what you need to get (in terms of materials) to make sure you can manufacture them.

Please understand that MPS/MRP are capacity "incensitive". Which means, the initial plans generated at the finished good and the material level will not take capacity limitations into account. In order to see how the plan stacks up against your capacity you need to run CAP500 first (which consider any bottle neck workcenters you may have specify in the work center (CAP100) file. If this does not look "doable" you need to them move planned orders around until your plan can be delivered with your capacity. Once this is ok, you then run CAP600 which basically does the capacity explosion for all the work centers (not only the ones identified as bottle neck).

As part of both the MPS and MRP explosions, BPCS will also consider the shop orders (FSO, FMA, FOD files) and purchase orders (HPH, HPO files) you have open. Basically because, at least in theory, it will be quicker to expedite a shop order if you are running out of a finished good than it is to start the whole process begining with a planned order. The same for raw materials or packaginig components. It may be quicker to expedite a open purchase order that already exist than it would be to create a new one.

There may be other things which I have overlooked, but this should get you started. Again, I do recommend to get some formal training on this as there are a lot of benefits to get, but it involves considerable setup and knowledge on how to make it work.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Jose J. Torres- MS, CISA
Phelps Dodge International Corporation