Hello Everyone

DeeDee, Dirk and others who have recommended use of triggers have
identified an area of strength in DB2. While without a doubt you can
create and implement your own trigger programs and infrastructure, there
is a learning curve, and the solution will require more than basic
programming to make the approach efficient, reusable, and robust.

Our product, DataThread, gives you a choice of using triggers or
journals to become aware of database changes on the AS/400. Either
approach has its merits, and depends on other variables on your system.
One thing to keep in mind with triggers is that while the trigger
program is completing its specified tasks, it is locking the update of
the record and consequently the processing of the job which has
initiated the update. Typically, the best way to address this, as our
product does, is to offload the heavy work to an asynchronous processor.
The beauty of this approach is that one trigger program can then cause
the background execution of several events all though soft coded
configuration. These include updating other databases; calling programs;
sending out notifications via pager, message or email; requiring
supervisor signatures; etc.

We offer a Webdemo of DataThread. If you are interested, please email me
and I will add you to our next scheduled demo.

Cheers
Ardi

Ardi Batmanghelidj
Principal - Business Development