Perhaps you should also take this question to one of the other midrange_L forums because the proportion of HP users here is pretty small.
There is an HP user group. It might be a little biased, but you have to start somewhere.
www.interex.org

Explain to your client about Operating Cost vs. Purchase Cost.
A Volkswagen is cheaper to BUY than a Honda, but a Honda is cheaper to own and operate.
Over the lifetime of your hardware, you spend much less $$$ with a Honda than with a Volkswagen ... we can make other such comparisons, but the point is that many computer buyers are blinded by low purchase price to aquire a box that kills them in operating costs.

Explain to your client about iSeries advantages over AS/400.
OS V4R2 is the END of a 15 year life cycle of the AS/400 and close to the beginning of the iSeries.

Take a look at what HP did to the HP e-3000 user base.
How does the HP 9000 user base compare and what are the odds that HP will do something similar there in a few years?

About a year ago, I conducted a survey, because people on other OS sometimes refuse to believe the 400 is as good as we know it is, which SOME DAY will make it onto some web site, regarding any cases of the Operating System (OS/400, Unix, Oracle, Windoze, Linux, etc.) being allegedly responsible for messing up our data, against how many years of experience the person reporting this. If you like I can send you the results in Word file attached to e-mail. I have several charts in which to protect my informants identities each is in the charts as the LIST + their initials, which also makes it practical for me to dig back to my original sources if I ever expand on this thing.

Hey people, do not send a pile of ME TOO requests to the list.
Send me an off-list e-mail requesting a copy of my file
DA TABLE 3 400.DOC

I have 3 charts

Chart # 1:
Years Experience (414 aggregate)
Total Hits reported, including those that are human error (42)
Incidents of data corrupted known to be from an IBM System (just me ... we were doing a BPCS conversion from M36 to the 400 and got bottlenecked and because of early inadequacies in 400 able to keep track of multiple OS on same box, we ran out of disk space ... the 400 thought we were at 120% of our disk space ... in other words you cannot really blame IBM for this ... we had a hand in our own problem)
Exceptions to losing more than 1 backup prior to the event (none from first hand experience)
Exceptions to losing more than 1 day of business operations, other than RAID or index rebuilding slow down (1 case of 48 hours)

Chart # 2
Witness
Is this first hand report?
How long was the disruption?
Do they know precisely what caused it? From the explanations we can see that most caused not by human error but by human unwisdom, or the 400 operating in an extremely hostile environment.
My guesses reading between the lines when they not know what caused it.

Chart # 3
Witness
Data Base in trouble (e.g. BPCS MAPICS JD_Edwards some programming language DB/2)
Platform (e.g. 400 Unix PCs)
The Problem
Years experience of the Witness

I only had one person write in about Oracle, who said that repairing corrupted data bases is a standard operation that is in the Oracle education.

I also had one person write in about Linux saying that they NEVER had ANY of the instability problems that Windows users take for granted, meaning that the Intel hardware is stable, it is the OS on the PC that is not.

When I conducted this survey on MIDRANGE_L (I also got input from two other primary discussion sources), I got into a big discussion with some MIDRANGE_L people about the definition of corrupted data bases. I took the position that we can have files that are not corrupted in 400 terms but are corrupted in BPCS terms, and what causes this to happen are bugs in the application code. Basically there were some people who were adamant that it was impossible for files to get corrupted on the 400.

Dear All,

One of my client is reflecting about the new hardware  where to migrate
an existing Bpcs version. He is unsure among Ibm As/400 running Os V5R2
and Unix machine Hp 9000 running HP_UX v.11 Oracle database. We have found
many satisfacting replies about Ibm in this forum,  now we are looking for
Hp 9000 machine in order to allow the client a conscious choice with Pro
and Vs for each platform and costs (a word extremely important nowdays).
So if one of you  is aware of successful but also unsuccessfull (it is very
important  to learn from other?s experience) migration from As/400 machine
to  Unix machine, kindly let me know, info about tools etc. will be greatly
appreciated. It will be my pledge to share my experience for the newcomers,
if the client will choose Unix platform.

Kind Regards

__________________________________________________________________ Tiscali ADSL a 1 euro al giorno, traffico incluso!e in piu' telefoni gratis. Abbonati entro il 31 maggio, l'attivazione e' gratuita. http://point.tiscali.it/adsl/index.shtml

_______________________________________________ This is the SSA's BPCS ERP System (BPCS-L) mailing list To post a message email: BPCS-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options, visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/bpcs-l or email: BPCS-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.

-
Al Macintyre
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/
See Al at http://www.ryze.com/go/Al9Mac