We recently upgraded from V6.1.01 Mixed Mode to V6.1.02 Mixed Mode  We have no
custom modifications.  Our operating system is V4R5.  We are not partitioned.

I applied the latest Cumm PTFs and the APAR PTFs that dealt with SQL
performance.  I loaded the upgrade into the Test Environment and we ran testing
on it.  Everything seemed to be fine in the Test Environment so I promoted to
Production.   Started receiving complaints about the performance in Production
so I worked with SSA and got some additional BMRs that I again loaded to Test.
After testing them, performance in test seemed great so I then loaded these to
Production.  Still received complaints on the performance in Production but was
able to isolate the problem to Order Inquiry (ORD300) when filtering by
Customer PO/Customer/Order.   When I started looking at open files I discovered
that the Test Environment was using the access path for the logical ECHL07
which is keyed by HCPO, HCUST, HORD thus the great performance in Test.
However, the Production Environment was using the access path for the logical
ECHL09 which is keyed by HORD,  HCUST, HSAL, HCPO.  Both logicals exist in the
data library for production and the data library for test.  We (SSA and I ) did
performance monitoring, checked and rechecked and ultimately found no reason
for this - files and programs are at the same level, no mods.   At SSA's
suggestion, I created an index on the ECH file (ECHL99) and sequenced it by
HCPO, HCUST, HORD which is the same as ECHL07.  Production is now using the
ECHL99 path and Test is still using the ECHL07 path and performance is great in
both environments.  After all this information, my question is WHY?  Why was
the Production Environment using the ECHL09 access path instead of the ECHL07?

Phyllis Field, CPIM
IS Manager
Specialty Products Co.
pfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx