During month end close series of events , at the conclusion of INV900 we run INV970C only if there was no physical inventory that month, due to the sequence in which we run stuff.

We do not want to prematurely remove employee clock numbers on personnel recently left our employ, because we have a ton of queries of labor statistics that include name of who done it ... if we have deleted clock # on person who did some work ... well we may no longer be interested in performance statistics on that person, but we still interested in how we doing by dept or by part ... but when query/400 data selected by matching records in which some of those records have been deleted, invalid matches on one side may cut into what shows up on the report, so timing of actual removal of terminated laborers from data base is important vs. when all the reports get run.

We not wait for orange light on front of tape drive. We clean it every Thu nite, which also means it cleaned shortly before end month heavier load.

I have found that running SYS120 shortly before CST900 can shorten the life of CST900 by more time than it takes SYS120 to run. Unfortunately we have a growth in night shift users and I do not have a good handle on what nitely jobs are counter-productive to be running when someone is in inquiry. What I would like to have is some AS/400 tool that sends message to me ... HEY AL ... such and such a job on the JOBQ is hung, because of whatever reason, so if I go 1/2 hour without checking WRKACTJOB (because my focus is on new program of the evening) ... you get the picture, then during the day, when I not there, various other people can throw the switch for THEM to get this heads up.

On an intermittent basis (when my time permits from the rush of business associated with whatever is the flavor topic of the day) I run various jobs that I have created to get rid of records from various files that are 6 months old, 2 years old, various in between, where the relevant departments have stated how long they need stuff kept, coded for deletion, resolve stuff not add up right. Some of these have replaced stuff that came with BPCS vanilla because various reasons did not like what vanilla doing. Every six months we restart our HVH performance statistics, right after purchasing prints report on last six months story.

Usually it is one IN USE here or there stuck because something got hung up.
Occasionally it is scores of orders or hundreds (we not know what is tripping this).
I have a program that goes through the entire file and resets them all.
I am sure there are better ways to solve some of these things.

We have some business rules about proper setup of some files, based on combination item class and facility for example, and we have some programs to refresh the data base to fix anything that got overlooked.

I wrote a program to list some contents of the BPCS data areas then use RPG control cycle to flag when one YNN whatever string is different from one guy to the next ... most of the time I not reverse engineered what all that means by application, but we have learned that if we delete problem stuff, BPCS rebuilds clean next time it is needed.

We have added a few documents of our own to BPCS DOC.
One of them says what to do to recover if this or that ever goes wrong again, because problems re-occur, often months later after we forgot how we recovered the last time.

GO CLEANUP
GO POWER

I am BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at a 405 CD installation.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what anyone would recommend for file resets and cleanups.
Specifically referring to the SSAZ01 menu of "File resets and Clean Up.

The only ones I run on a regular (monthly) basis are:

INV970 - Lot Loc. Cont Recs w/o Inv.
INV972 - Reset Inventory balance in IIM from ILI

...and I run them in that order.

I've not yet been frustrated enough to run SYS122. (Clear BPCS Files) <grin>

Paul LaFlamme
Manager of MIS
Kennedy Die Castings, Inc.

at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.