Welcome to a great ERP, that we may bitch about a lot here, but in reality keeps many thousands of manufacturers functioning quite efficiently.
Variations on your question have come up several times before on BPCS_L.
Review archives at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l. which go back several years, but within the last few months there have been people sharing access to a great variety of BPCS Documentation.

I created some links on my personal web site to try to help answer this sort of question without a lot of repetition here, as we get a steady flow of new recruits with similar questions.
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html

I have been frenetically busy the last few months, so I have a pile of promises to various people about planned additions to this area, and other non-BPCS areas on my web site. But in the mean time I believe I have in fact provided links to a massive volume of alternative ways for you to get at BPCS documentation. I try to keep this as impartial as I can, which means in all honesty I will need to mention that a BPCS vendor has offered for me to get financial compensation if I talk anyone into buying a product they developed that enhances BPCS - a way to track changes to BPCS data bases, particularly unauthorized changes, like human errors. We're still talking about what exactly the deal will be, which is why I being a bit circumspect so far.

Assuming BPCS was installed in a reasonably competent manner at your company, there is a wealth of documentation already on-line, albeit extremely poorly indexed. I talk about that in section III of my web site = documentation useful for computer technical people.

Assuming you have a modicum of hard currency, you can buy some pretty good BPCS manuals, if your company does not already have any. I think we have in the neighborhood of a dozen different BPCS manuals, several copies of some of them, most of them from one particular BPCS vendor, but in actual fact from several different vendors. I go into the office of the Purchasing Manager, Production Manager, Chief Financial Officer, other managers, and each one has several copies of BPCS Manuals that are relevant to their area (not duplicates of any one manual in one office, but manuals on how the costing works, how to work capacity planning, explaining the fields of item master and other files, how to write Query/400 to extract good info from BPCS data base, in which if you visit several offices you will see repeating copies of some of the manuals). Some of them are rather dog eared. But even with this great library, there are always more that I want to have access to.

We are supposed to be subscribing to several BPCS publications, but when a few months go by and I not remember seeing one (I suspect people pick up my copies before they get to me), I visit web sites of the publishers and download the articles that interest me.

In a couple weeks at our local AS/400 user group (in Evansville IN), we will be getting a presentation from a BPCS vendor (one of the outfits in section IV of my web site). I am not sure where the meeting will be yet. We recently had to move our meeting place because we outgrew last year's site. It not unusual to have 40 people at one meeting.

There was also a recent post about a BPCS meeting to be held in Indianapolis this month.

There's BPCS conventions and seminars around the USA every few months.
I wish I could go to the one at Purdue University, some year.
I have been to several in Chicago, and one in Indianapolis.

-
Al Macintyre

Hi,

I am new to BPCS. Can anyone please suggest any site to be visited or any documentation based BPCS.

Any kind of help is appreciated.

Thank You Josphine

Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.