From: bpcs-l-bounces@midrange.com [mailto:bpcs-l-bounces@midrange.com] On
Behalf Of Chick Doe
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 9:43 PM
To: bpcs-l@midrange.com
Subject: stockroom locations

version 6.1.02

we use random stockroom locations. when a new part has to be put away we
make a bin for it, put it on a shelf (location), and put the parts in it. we
make a bpcs transaction to record where we put the parts.  suppose some time
goes by and we use up those parts. the container is still on the shelf, yet
bpcs says we have none. then we run month end and since we have zero parts
at that location bpcs deletes the ILI record. not the computer does know
where we have the empty container.

some time later we get some more of the parts. if we are lucky, the
stockroom person 'remembers' where the container is and transacts them into
the same container. but if somebody else handles the receipt, we may end up
with a new container on a different shelf.

when i try to perform a location audit to make sure that all the containers
were in bpcs, i got inundated with locations that bpcs did not know of.
(luckily most of these containers were empty).

two questions:
1. is there a way to have bpcs 'remember' a location on the ILI when the qty
at that location goes to zero?
2. should we pull the container and remove it from the shelf when it is
empty, and then go through the effort of reestablishing the container in
whatever location when we get more parts?

any help or comments is appreciated.

chick doe
barton instrument systems