It is more than the CIC file that can get messed up if planning in system
parameters is by facility for any length of time in error.

I think you need to do a query/400 over each of the files that CAN be by
facility, to total up what is there that is global and is facility, perhaps
also total active vs. coded for deletion ... I have found that some of BPCS
reorg programs do not get rid of records coded for deletion so they at risk
of accumulating in perpetuity.

CIC CMF
MBM FRT
ECH ECL
IWI ILI

Reason is that if a co-worker, by mistake, keys in something by facility,
at a company doing stuff global, or keys in something global at a company
by facility, that creates data with the wrong rules, which will then
potentially mess up other stuff.  You need to periodically map out what
data in what files appear to be coded wrong.

Most of our accounting files AMH AML APG APH APL RAR
Have records dating back to long before any settings we have for how long
we want retention

AVM RCM records coded for deletion never go away.
We physically remove them after each year auditor visits, so that vendor #s
cust#s can be re-used.

CEM ditto ... we have to be careful since we have Queries that match up
employee name with FLT labor statistics ... If you force remove CEM
employee no longer working for the company, it can mess up reports based on
labor totals for a period.  It would be nice if we could say "we finished
all labor reports for input dated over a month ago, so now get rid of
employee clock #s that left our employment over a month ago."

We have ECH and ECL out of sync ... in theory ECH warehouse is ship from
some facility shipping warehouse and ECL warehouse should be same place,
but (I suspect human error) we got customer orders where ECH says one
facility, and some ECL lines say a different facility, for the same order.

We have ESN notes on orders, customers, ship-to etc, that have been purged.

Our accounting people generally run Journals for date ranges or current
fiscal month.
Our end users are capable of keying garbage into transaction dates.
This then ends up with garbage dates in unposted GL, because no one running
anything to ask what all do we have out there for closed fiscal periods and
years into the future?  If we don't catch it, then we asking for a mess up
when that fiscal period rolls around.

We run INV9 reorg stuff weekly and within fiscal sequence.
We have 12,000 deleted ILI records that do not seem to be going away.

We have 35,000 records in ITH on items not in IIM.
What we discovered is that if you delete an item that is no longer needed,
INV900 does not retire the ITH on that IIM, even when we hit the time to
retain the data from SYS800, then years later when we reassign that item #
for something unrelated, it starts its life with new transactions numbered
correctly, but also all the history from when that item was used years ago.

We have 200 items in IWI whose item is not in IIM
We have 1500 items in JPH whose item is not in IIM

We found out a couple weeks ago this scenario:
One thing messed up, God knows how, can set off a cascade effect of other
things messed up.
We have an ILM location coded for deletion, that we created because of
errors posted on physical inventory that was invalid location.
Someone got a shop order messed up, then the JIT600 posted inventory to the
ILM location coded for deletion, then INV500 would not let us adjust the
inventory out of the invalid location to a correct location, because ILM
coded for deletion.
We reactivated the invalid location, moved the inventory to where it should
have been posted in first place, then tried to delete the invalid location
again.  BPCS would not let us because there's activity there this month ...
we have to wait until it is zero at the beginning of a month, before BPCS
will let us delete the invalid location.

We by facility, and we perpetually getting records into CMF for which the
facility is blank.  I think it is a bug in CST900 that is doing
it.  Someone suggested putting triggers on files that get garbage, to
notify what action puts the garbage there, but I also find out by Query/400
totals a file good stuff vs. garbage stuff before/after program I suspect.

Your security should be such that people are not changing SYS800 without
consultation with the departments effected.  You may wish to print out each
screen of SYS800, ITE settings, and other key BPCS system rules and stick
it in a reference binder, so that if later it gets messed up, you have a
copy of what all the settings were at some point in corporate history.

We have some manuals on planning from UPI that answer some of your
questions.  I do not know if it is ethical to look up your question and
post answer for you, when our company paid $250.00 a manual for this
information.

Al Macintyre
BPCS/400 Computer Janitor at http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com/
See Al http://www.ryze.com/view.php?who=Al9Mac
Find BPCS Documentation Suppliers
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html

Ed,

Why wouldn't you suggest Judi shut off planning by facility in system params
and then CLRPFM the CIC file?

Paul