The MRP reschedule date in FSO HPO ...
if it is all zeros that means that it is not reccommending that you change
the date
if it is all nines that means that it is suggesting that you cancel the order
In more technical 400 forums there have been tips about doing date math to
get the number of calendar days between two dates to see if it is worth
adjusting what MRP suggests we do (after you eliminate the records that are
all zero in date), but you may wish to factor in FSC calendar, or just
figure on the basis of multiples of 7 days (calendar weeks) to determine
which are worth adjusting

We cloned the SFC230 shop floor dispatch report to show both the FSO FOD
due dates and the MRP reschedule date

It is important to realize that if customer order due date changes, and you
already released shop order for the due date that used to be in the
customer order, and for the various sub-assemblies of that, MRP just
suggests the parent shop order date be changed, it does not replan the
sub-assemblies, because it is leaving you up to decide whether or not to do
the shop order parent item on the new date.  Only when you change the
parent item due date, and redo MRP, does it go down to the next level and
make reschedule dates based on the fact that the parent is now due on a
different date.

If you enter a brand new item, its effectivity date defaults to the date
you entered it, so if you immediately release a customer order on your new
part, MRP will not plan components whose dates would go before the date of
effectivity, so you have to be careful to enter correct effectivity dates.

Another gotcha is that MRP will not plan brand new orders into the past due.
If you enter a new customer order in which some component parts would be
past due at the instant of release, MRP does not launch them.  You have to
know your cumulative lead time, recognize that you are releasing something
requiring components whose cumulative lead time goes into the past, and
manually create whatever orders neccessary to fill MRP blind spot.

There are planning fields to get around some of these, which need to be
managed as carefully as having accurate lead times, and appropriate levels
of safety stock.

You can lie to BPCS and tell it that the planning date is so far in the
past that past due does not matter.  This is a no no at our company.

SFC500 can be used to release shop orders, one at a time.
MRP or JIT can be used to release all shop orders that MRP thinks are
needed, in which you select warehouse, date range, other criteria, then
select and deselect from the big collection at will.
The difference is that by using MRP or JIT to release shop orders, the
amount of human effort per unit shop order is almost microscopic.
Releasing shop orders by SFC500 should be exception to the rule.

A company operates either globally or by facility.

If globally, forget CIC, you just have one set of information from IIM MBM
FRT and related files.
It sounds to me like Paul's company is not doing things by facility.

If by facility, you have to be careful when launching BPCS tasks to not
accidentally do them globally.
For example, when running MRP500 MRP600 there is a field to specify which
facility you doing it for.  If your data, in MBM FRT etc. is by facility,
and you accidentally run MRP500 MRP600 with the facility field left blank,
it won't pick up the facility rules from CIC but rather the global rules
from IIM which might not be up to date.

CIC gets populated with defaults from IIM as soon as there is activity on
item facility combination relevant to MPS/MRP, then you go in with MRP140
to tinker with any exceptions for that facility.

There are several kinds of orders in the BPCS system that MPS/MRP can
factor into the equation
ORD Customer Orders
DRP Inter-Facility, which might not be a factor for Paul
PUR Purchase Orders
SFC Shop Orders

Check my links to BPCS documentation
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html

Several places sell BPCS manuals.  They run in price from about $150.00 to
$350.00 each.  You can get them for MRP, CST, other topics.  See if you
have BPCSDOC in your BPCS library list.  At V405CD we have BPCS source
code, and the HELP text for the MRP programs are accessible without
actually running the programs - check what is in QPNLSRC.

Several places sell add-on software to help you cope with the MRP exception
message volume.  Also take a look at OTTO near the bottom of my BPCS
documentation directory.
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/08/bpcsDocSources.html

I will update this from time to time as people let me know what I have
overlooked.

Al Macintyre

James Barry wrote:

Hi Paul !
BPCS4.05 CD MPS & MRP uses LRDTE from ECL
minus lead time in days from either the IIM
or CIC ( if planning by facility)to calculate a suggested
release (start) date.
SFC500, however, does not give a hoot about lead times.
It takes the due date minus appropriate run, setup,
machine, move & queue to backward schedule the order.
OR it takes start date plus those hours & days to
calculate due date.
That is why it is so important to have lead times be
as "realistic" as your routing times.
Jim Barry
Belchertown Ma

 "Paul LaFlamme"  wrote:
Hi Judi,

To clarify my question - should a lead time set on the
end item for an item
master (IIM) (not planning by facility) effect the MPS
planning for an MPS item?
What I'm seeing is that once I say an item is an
MPS item using the M
code on the Item Master (IIM) the system will not
consider the lead time field in the item master.
Instead, it looks solely at the BOM and Router to
determine when a particular shop order must be started to
finish when needed.
Now if my BOM components of that end item have
lead times, the
system may be factoring that in - I didn't get that far yet.

Paul