Fran and Sylvia,
I have worked with clients that use the last six digits of the "Extra
Description" in a manner similar to what Fran suggested.  The extra
description just doen't show on as many inquiries and reports.  We have
also modified the Receiver Ticket to extract the putaway location and
print the information on the ticket.  Many plants use the receiver
ticket as the document to record where the hauler actually received
item.  If the ticket is modified to print the location, the hauler can
just check that he put the item in that location, or mark it out and
write in the actual location.

Most of this is eliminated by bar-coding equipment, but this solution
is simple until then.

Hope this helps,

Ed DeHarde
Unbeaten Path International

www.unbeatenpathintl.com

> WE ARE ON 6.1.  WE USE THE "DEFAULT LOCATION/WAREHOUSE" FOR CERTAIN
SELECT
> ITEMS, BUT BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF OUR USERS DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO THE
ITEM
> MASTER, WE BUILD THIS DESCRIPTION INTO THE ITEM DESCRIPTION.
>
> FOR INSTANCE.
>
> BOTTLE SS 201P*****FESTOR
>
> FESTOR IS THE DEFAULT LOCATION WE WISH THE BOTTLE STORED IN.  WHEN
THE USER
> SEES THE ****, THEY KNOW THAT MEANS A DEFAULT LOCATION FOLLOWS.

Does
> anyone have any suggestions on where I could store this data?
>
> Current BPCS Version 6.0.04 (Unix).
>
> > Sincerely,
> > Sylvia L. Dufour
> > Business Analyst
> > Schukra of North America Ltd.
> > 666 Ellis Street West
> > Windsor, Ontario  N8X 1B4
> > Telephone (519) 254-2633  Ext-241
> > Fax (519)254-7515

> at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.
>
> THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY
> WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED,
> CONFIDENTIAL AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.  If the
reader
> of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or
agent
> responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are
> hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying,
downloading,
> storing or forwarding of this communication is prohibited.  If you
have
> received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
via email
> and delete the message from your computer files and/or data base.
Thank