Dee Dee

There is also a midrange.com forum just on 400 Security topics ... I
subscribing to very few midrange.com lists, but recently started some
midrange.com lists that I am not subscribing to RSS into my Radio News
Aggregation (introduction to THAT topic at
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/08/17/understandRadioNewsAggregation.html
and what specifically I did to get the midrange.com links into my weblog
review at
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/categories/400OnRadioDial/2002/09/01.html#a185
- the comments not supposed to be activated - there is a bug there someplace.)

At Global Wire Technologies dot com, we are at security level 30 with 2/3
to 3/4 of our users having command line access, and the BPCS 405 CD
security rather liberal letting most people into most programs of most
applications, but 90% of the users have as their 2nd IBM option (after BPCS
MENU) *SIGNOFF which means that if they F3 out of BPCS they less likely to
get into OS/400 options trouble.  Now that works when you trust your staff
to know what they are doing, but as we move towards more and more employees
having PCs connected to the 400 and also they can dial in from home using
PC anywhere or some other arrangement, and when I ask "Hey if you can dial
in, what is to prevent a hacker from dialing in?" and they say there is
still the 400 password, but you know, some of those people have play keys
on their PC that does the password for them, so I figure if a hacker can
read their keyboard stream from home PC ... bottom line I periodically get
nervous (another recent piece of 400 security education shared at
http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/09/18/ev429Sec.html which =
my notes on the last local AS/400 user group meeting where another company
was reporting on their use of an ethical hacker in a security audit).

We do have a nitely menu outside of BPCS which is used for backup options,
and it also has some menu options that look at security messages sent to
DSPLOG, so I can check to see if we had a bunch of virtual addresses
created (this should never happen unless we had some tech support person
dial in on the ECS line, but sometimes someone hooks up a PC incorrectly,
and of course if a hacker ever gets in, I would expect a flood of them,
because as they guess password, it would disconnect that virtual address,
and they would keep guessing with some other one.).  I check these logs
regularly, and periodically add to the spectrum of messages they monitoring
for.

Hi Al,

I've also read a lot of your documents in archive concerning security; they
too are helpful.  Did you modify all your BPCS programs from USRPRF(*USER)
to USRPRF(*OWNER) in 4.05CD?

We are at security level 40; all are user profiles are setup w/ Limit
capabilities LMTCPB(*YES)... Just want to take security a step further.

Thanks.

DeeDee Virgei
Nelson Stud Welding, Inc.
7900 West Ridge Rd