Jeffrey,
We have done it number of times on version 6.0.04.

There are number of things to consider.

First, you need to change how the order number is generated. BPCS checks for
Order existence when assigning new number, but it only does it 1000 times
and if all thousand times it found that order is already used, it will
assign 1001 number without checking for duplicate. There is also a glitch,
which will cause order number ZERO to be assigned, but you can manually
change order number in System parameters to avoid that.

We wrote custom purge to purge only orders, for which invoices are
completely paid. If you use BPCS purge, you need to make sure that it purges
all files that contain order number as a key. If you have any custom files,
which contain order numbers, they also need to be purged.

Some of the BPCS reports will not print in correct sequence, and that will
need to be validated based on your specific needs.

One of the last important points is your customers, some of them keep track
of order numbers and may not be able to handle duplicates or simply will
complain that new numbers are lower than older ones.

If you decide to roll the numbers, leave 1-2 month of numbers available
under old sequence and roll them over. If you run into issues, you can go
back for a short while. We run into promotion assignment problem, where old
promotions were assigned to the new orders at time of posting to GL, which
causes JE errors. We do not use OLM, this is another area, which needs to be
tested.

One other suggestion is BPCS 8.0. The order number there is 8 digits instead
of 6. If you are planning to upgrade and can wait, it will be your best
solution.

Hope this helps, please contact me off line if you have any other questions,
Regards,

Yan Shargorodsky
Y&Y Solutions, Inc
Phone:(215)741-7138