Hello,

I suggest that you call the SSA GT Support Line in Australia so that they
can make sure you have all available BMRs for Double-byte issues with the
Fat Client (ALAUNCH) programs.

In Fat Client applications, the software on the PC will sense when you have
a DBCS character input in ASCII. When it sends the data in EBCDIC format to
the AS/400 it will put in automatically the hex Shift/In and Shift/Out
characters around the DBCS sections using a special program to translate the
ASCII hex characters into EBCDIC hex characters (PC to AS/400). You do not
need to do this yourself in the PC Windows BPCS applications.

There have been some BMRs for Client/Server programs. I do know that one
issue we corrected was a problem that if the user types in too many DBCS
characters for the existing spaces in the AS/400 field (such as single byte
characters, double byte, then again single byte, then again double byte),
the Fat Client (ALAUNCH) applications did not always count the number of
bytes this string would have on the AS/400 side, and would not 'see' that
the string had become too long to fit into the BPCS files. So, it would send
too much data down to the server. It did not calculate the extra space taken
by all the required 'Shift/In' and 'Shift/Out' characters.

On the server side, this data string that was now too long then got put into
the BPCS file, and this became corrupted data because it could not fit
properly into the BPCS file field. In this case, some part of the end of the
string gets cut off (often 1/2 of a double-byte character set )  - this is
the corruption. This problem was corrected in a BMR, by sending warnings to
the user when they put in too many DBCS characters for the field on the
server to hold the data.

Please contact the SSA GT Support Line for more details about the available
BMRs for your release of BPCS.

Thanks,

Genyphyr Novak
SSA GT