From:   Beth Norris [SMTP:BNorris@wittern.com]
Sent:   Thursday, May 16, 2002 1:21 PM
To:     'bpcs-l@midrange.com'
Subject:        RE: 4.05 CD   Resupply Orders Question

6.0.04 Mixed Mode

We also ship our finished goods (lot controlled) to outside distributor
warehouses using the order type 9.

The system will show the in-transit quantity in the upper right hand corner
of the order screen of INV300.  You can also run the standard BPCS (DRP270)
report to get a list of the items that are in-transit and not yet been
received.  Make sure you are using the 'H' transaction in DRP550 for the
reciept to properly update the order.  There is a system parameter flag
(DRP820) to set the system to track inventory or not while in-transit.  The
location to use for in-transit items is set up in the DRP100 relationship
record.

We have also found the problem with the lot status changing to the Z status
after shipment on a re-supply order.  We have to manually change the lot
status code back to a 'A' (INV130)to ship that item from the outside
warehouse for a final customer order.  I know of no way around this, but
seems a small price to pay for the advantages of tracking re-stocking orders
for our outside distributor warehouses using the order type 9.

Also, you said you did not have any confusion with MRP - I assume that your
warehouses are under a different facility then. We found out the hard way
that this was a requirement for planning purposes.

If you have your warehouses set up as allocatable in the same facility that
you run MRP against, the re-supply order is viewed as an incoming receipt
(much like a shop order or purchase order reciept). Therefore the order is
seen as both a demand and a receipt within the same facility and cancelled
each other out.  We ended up having to change all our outside warehouses to
be structured under a different facility to correct this.

Keep in mind BPCS is set up for DRP generation to be at a facility level -
that concept is the same for manual re-supply orders.  You are re-suppling
at the facility level as far as planning needs are concerned.

Beth A. Norris

Production Control Manager
Fawn Engineering Corp.
Des Moines, IA