Juan

Once upon a time (I not have the documentation handy while writing this)

000 series were for special conversion & maintenance & fix it programs that
normally IT people would run when the system is in a restricted state ...
some 900 also that way

100 series are for SIMPLE maintenance of MASTER files like where you change
item master or cost master or planning file & all the program is doing is
accessing that one file & perhaps some other that validates some codes you
entering to some key fields.  Also if you run a SIMPLE listing of a master
file, that is also 100 series.

300 series are inquiry

200 series are for relatively straightforward BPCS reports.
Sort some records into some sequence.

400 series are for compound complex BPCS reports.
For example sort some records & some program builds a work file based on data
in several files, then that data is digested & funneled & massaged through a
series of programs, then at the far end is a report that actually prints the
data.

500 600 700 800 I will have to get back to you later on, what the
distinctions are between them.

900 series are related to END OF FISCAL.
End of Week, End of Month, End of Year

Within a series, I don't think there are any hard & fast rules regarding the
30 40 50 etc.