This is extracted from AS/400 Logic Manual (member SSALOG00 in file
BPCSDOC)

JOB CONTROL
THE FIRST EIGHT CHARACTERS OF EACH WORKSTATION ID MUST BE
UNIQUE.
NOTE: The creation of a Data Area for a workstation job queue
assigns a 'Q' prefix to the workstation ID. Any networking
protocol which automatically creates device IDs assigning ten
characters to it can experience problems when the data area is
created. The added prefix will cause the ID to be truncated as
it exceeds the ten character limit. If unique device IDs differ
by the rightmost character only, truncation of the rightmost
character will result in assignment of the same data area to
multiple devices.
Some networking protocols dynamically assign workstation IDs.
If a user signs off, then signs on again, a different
workstation ID may be created. Unpredictable results may occur.

Fernando.

                    YShargorodsky@im
                    pactit.com              Para:   bpcs-l@midrange.com
                    Enviado por:            cc:
                    bpcs-l-admin@mid        Asunto:      Re: Long display
device names in BPCS
                    range.com

                    22/02/2002 16:36
                    Por favor,
                    responda a
                    bpcs-l

I believe the restriction is 9 characters and not 8. You can use 10
character workstation names as long as first 9 are unique. BPCS prefixes
workstation name  with letter "Q" to generate workstation data area. If
more than one workstation has the same first 9 letters they will be sharing
the same OUTQ and JOBQ settings, which in some  shops is not a problem.
As far as workstation specific processes such as Shop Order release, Pick
Confirm, Billing etc. having 10 characters workstation name is not a
problem.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Shargorodsky
Impact Information Technologies
One Ivybrook Boulevard
Suite 190
Ivyland PA 18974
Office  (215) 443-9401 x 322
Mobile (215) 534-1939
Fax      (215) 443-8800

                    "Certz"
                    <certz@americanmetalpro       To:     "BPCS-L
\(E-mail\)" <BPCS-L@midrange.com>
                    ducts.com>                    cc:
                    Sent by:                      Fax to:
                    bpcs-l-admin@midrange.c       Subject:     Long display
device names in BPCS
                    om

                    02/22/02 01:55 PM
                    Please respond to
                    bpcs-l

Hello all,

We are on BPCS 6.0.02 PLF January Cumulative PTF with many BMR's on top of
that.

I know there is a restriction on the length of display device names to a
length of 8.

My boss has asked me to find a way to allow 10 character device names with
the version of BPCS our company is currently on.
I can not shorten the device name. That is not an option. (That is what I
am
currently doing.)
What would I neet to change in order to make the software work correctly?

We are considering upgrading to V8. Does V8 support 10 character device
names?

Sincerely,

Chris Ertz

at http://archive.midrange.com/bpcs-l.