Tony
The comments in my earlier e-mail were based on my undertanding of ACP900
from the helptext available, including what you quoted and also additional
helptext as follows:-

Invoices and payments tracked through Cash Management (having
a draft payment type) are not purged until the draft is collected
and reconciled (reconciled = draft payment status 99).  However, if
the "Purge Unreconciled Payments?" parameter on the first panel of
this program (ACP900-01) is set to Y, then any records of
unreconciled payments (of draft payment types or other payment
types) will be purged through this program as long as the invoice
has been fully paid.  (In other words, if an invoice has been fully
paid but the payments themselves have not been reconciled through
Bank Statement Posting - ACP710, then the record of these payments
will be purged.  You will not be able to perform the Bank Statement
Posting for these payments after this point.)
Once all payments relating to an invoice qualify for deletion, the
invoice itself qualifies for deletion.  It will be deleted through
this program.

However we have not run ACP900 for many years because of the 999 days
limitation in ACP180. We wish to retain the ACP data online for 6 years but
now we have data older than 6 years which we cannot remove using Standard
ACP900 because of the 999 days limitation. Outstanding BMR 16250 relates to
this.

However your solution provides a perfect workaround.
I have just carried out a test by updating for a range of records
AHM/AMHSTS with R Status.
The test worked perfectly without any need to update the following:
AHM/AMHCDA     Date Cashed
AHM/AMHCAM     Amount Cashed
ABR/ABSTS Status

Thanks for this very valuable tip.