  • Subject: Re: BPCS' NLV product
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 01:38:30 EDT

From Al Macintyre - sounds like we might be competitors Gary.

I have not actually used this, but I have read the documentation a few times,
There is a rule of thumb - often I not find what I am looking for until I am
studying some other documentation, so I know al ot about other than what I
need to know.

Think of objects in BPCS as being written in ENGLISH or in SPANISH or in some
other language in which someone at SSA has gone to an enormous amount of
trouble to get the objects translated.

Example of object is how the text is phrased in literals ... you know message
members called SSAZ something.

Another example is HELP text ... from source code in QPNLSRC using UIM
programming language.

When you set up user security, you can designate the language relevant to
that user & this translates to a library list methodology of that person
seeing the literals & help text & screens & reports expressed in their
language, while on the same BPCS environment you might have various people
seeing things in a variety of different languages.

The actual data is identical for all users.
What is in the different languages is how the data is presented or packaged.

Thus if you have put some NOTES in system with respect to how something
should be shipped, or if the $ value is under some amount to use UPS, or
explaining some credit or RMA, that text will be in the language of your
employee who wrote the notes.

Also if you have done some modifications & used plain text, that will not be
translated.  In an earlier thread on this topic we learned that while there
are variants of languages, such as Canadian French & European French, BPCS
offerings are more limited than in the real world, and the Spanish is as it
is done in Spain, not how it is done in Mexico.  So you are likely to have
some employees who are either unhappy or giggling all the time.

I had thought that when we have customers in other nations, it might be an
idea to have a dummy user set up for language of that customer & then use
that dummy user when generating invoices, shipping documents & so forth.

> From: gjohnson@iwgid.com (Johnson, Gary)
>
>  Can anyone explain how BPCS NLV(national language support) product works?
>  Especially in one environment that would require two languages(English &
>  Spanish). If anyone has had experience setting this up, I would like to
hear
>  about it.
>
>  Thanks,
>  Gary Johnson
>  International Wire

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---