  • Subject: PUR262 Vendor Performance
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:12:01 EDT

I posted this question about a week ago & got no feedback & since have done a
bit more detective work.  I now suspect that this is a case of a co-worker
thinking BPCS works a certain way, the documentation being sufficiently vague
not to disabuse him, and what I should be looking into is the practicality of
modification to get him end result in agreement with the way he would prefer
the system to work.

I have done some digging.
My puzzlement grows.
I have more questions than understanding.

Our possibly relevant 405 CD applications are ACP DRP INV MRP PUR
We have modified some of this stuff.
We are NOT using FOR PRF.
We are not using outside vendors for shop orders.

The rules for early/late are set by SYS800-14.
The rules are stored in ZNN file.

PUR262 allegedly is the summary report - getting data from HVH file,
definitely a total history story on each combination vendor item warehouse.
PUR240 allegedly is the detail report - apparently getting data from HPO
file, and at present I unsure how BPCS controls how long to store Purchase
Order History.
PUR250 allegedly also looks at this data but I have not yet looked into it.
PUR550 allegedly generates the data.
I say allegedly because I am finding generalities in BPCS documentation & I
am finding other stories in the source code, but I have not yet studied all
relevant source code.

PUR262 - I traced its data to
HVH.HVERD = Early
HVH.HVOND = On Time
HVH.HVLTD = Late

Neither PUR900 nor PUR910 appear to update these fields - I was hoping to
find some settings that might lead to them being cleared.
PUR240 apparently gets no data from HVH.

I ran PUR240 for the vendor where our Purchasing Manager first found the
problem in PUR262.
Our data runs from 9/11/2000 to currrent day for all items from that vendor.
We have been doing business with that vendor for several years.
I do not know what is magical about that date 9 months ago that would make it
a cut-off.
I plan to rerun this after our end month, which is imminent, to see if
anything gets rid of older data of this nature.
I also plan a totals only query to get the oldest such date by vendor.
Our purchasing manager wants year 2001 data only in the year 2001.
I figure I will need to investigate the practicality of modify to "exclude
data prior to current year" which probably doable with HPO input but not HVH
input.

I made query/400 to display HVH data including last transaction date.
We've got stuff on that one vendor dating back to 1998 was the last
transaction.
We converted to 405 CD in 1998 from BPCS/36 & decided not to convert the old
history files.
Thus I now believe HVH data must accumulate to infinity & where the
Purchasing Manager found year 2000 data in 2001 he was seeing only part of a
bigger picture.
This means PUR260 detail & PUR262 summary are probably governed by rules
unrelated to each other, and cannot be expected to agree.
I now think we may need a modification to clear the HVH file during year end
fiscal, unless one of the options on SYS/23 menu can handle that ... another
thread to investigate.

I am also still wondering if there is some place that tells BPCS how long to
store Purchasing data.
SYS800-11 has # days for various things that we have mainly set at 365 days)
but purchase order history is not on this list.

Subj:    PUR262 Vendor Performance
Date:   05/25/2001 9:32:25 AM Central Daylight Time
From:   Al Macintyre

We are on 405 CD

Our Purchasing Manager ran PUR262 then informed me that the columns counting
deliveries
Early / On Time / Late
ideally should show current year to date
(our fiscal year is now January to December, same as calendar year, but it
used to be February through January)
but in reality is showing grand total of year 2000 plus 2001 year to date.

Question - Is he correct that this should show current year to date? ... We
do have some BPCS files that accumulate data to infinity.

Question ... Is there something that should have been in the fiscal year-end
check list that should have zeroed the delivery totals?
If so I can fix next year end.
If not, then perhaps I need to do a modification so we have such an entity
for year end.

Question ... Is there some standard BPCS program that can reorganize or
recalculate these totals from some kind of history?
(We retain most of our histories for one year.)

There's some items with zero received quantity & amount this & last ... do
these columns all mean YTD i.e. Jan-May (or whatever our fiscal year was last
year)?

Thanks in advance for some clarification.

AS/400 Data Manager & Programmer for BPCS 405 CD Rel-02 mixed mode (twinax
interactive & batch) @ http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies - fax # 812-424-6838

+---