  • Subject: Re: BIL500 Message: No Records found starting at entered search argum ent
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 13:20:13 EDT

From Al Macintyre

Benny

I consider you to be extremely fortunate.

Normally when a BPCS job bombs ... in your case thanks to loss of power to
computer & insufficient UPS protection to keep going ... there are special
procedures you ought to follow to recover each job that bombed, and they are
not consistent across all BPCS jobs.  People who are ignorant of these
special procedures tend to have damage to their data that is catastrophic
compared to the original bomb, while in your case it looks to me like you
just having a simple error message with no harm done until you resolve this.

Because of the high risk of a PC going down, compared to twinax work
stations, I am a strong believer in PC users sending stuff to the JOBQ
whenever practical, and careful setting of the system value that controls how
long people are given before a discontinued session is a gone session.

First off - the BIL500 that you started that failed - you need to know which
work station that was from, because there is data, probably corrupted, in
work areas named after that work station & you need to know how to navigate
that stuff, which varies with the version of BPCS that you are on ... I am
405 CD on AS/400 mixed mode.  For our version there are several areas we have
to fix after a BIL500 bomb, depending on how far along the process was when
it bombed.

There is a data area with flags saying how far the process got, that BPCS was
aware of (which could be a misleading picture).  I believe that is what is
being reset when you take the work station reset option off of the SYS
secondary menu ... SYS/23 then upper right corner ... I think it may be
SYS013 ... I am not at a BPCS menu at home PC e-mail.

Some of the files that get updated from Billing, such as RAR, can be
populated, but the job didn't get finished, so the population is incomplete &
not in synchronization, and you want to fix this before running INV920 which
will also corrupt the General Ledger.  It is important both to make sure your
customers are billed for the correct amounts & also to have the files in
agreement with this story.

In other words, do not just get the right invoices to the customers, make
sure there is not double billing sitting in your files.

There are flags in BB* & EC* files that say "We have processed this or that"
or "Someone is currently doing something with this customer shipment" and
that "someone" is the job that bombed & the "we have processed" is not true
because of the bomb.  If you have never worked with this before, that is what
a tech support contract with SSA or one of the 3rd party places is for ...
they tell you how to figure this out & repair it.

There are members in the BB* files with contents related to how far the
processing went ... a person who is ignorant of this can restart that work
station batch & get duplicate garbage posted.