  • Subject: Re: producing product for lease
  • From: "naomiruben" <naomiruben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 08:27:31 -0800

There are really several parts to your question:

1. Moving the items, which I presume is some type of equipment, from your
inventory account to a fix asset account.
You could trig a G/L transaction based on an Inventory transaction.  If you
want to use more BPCS front door capabilities, you could create a special
Order Type and enter an order in which your company itself would be the
ordering customer.  When invoiced, that Order Type would call a CEA model
that instead of debiting A/R would debit your Fix Asset account.
You should also credit some special account other than the regular sales
account since you are not actually selling the item. In a regular sales
transaction, when we ship the item we relieve the inventory against Cost of
Sales, in this case the model would have to call this special account.  In
this way, once the equipment is shipped and billed, this special account
will be balanced out.

2. I would then create a Non-Inventory item in the Item Master (Item type
6), call Leasing.  You might want to create one per Customer contract, but
they would all be the same Item types.
I would then enter a Customer Order for the leasing in which the quantity is
the amount of the contract and the price is 1.00. At the end of every period
I would "ship" against that order the corresponding "quantity" for that
period, leaving an open balance for the remaining "quantity" in the
contract.

3. Every year, you would depreciate your fix assets, debiting depreciation
and crediting the Fix Asset account.

4. At the end of the contract, the quantity open in the Customer Order (Step
2.) will be 0.  Your revenue will be represented in each period by your
"sales" of  "leasing product".

Regards,

Ruben A. Mirensky