Bill's original comments are below for reference.

I would delete the reference. You may even have to physically delete it.

You have multiple places to put the date logic.

You can't just put date logic in the circular reference check, (if I
remember correctly this is only done on an add) you have to put a circular
reference check in place anytime you maintain any date on a component
related to effectivity.

Worse yet, you may still get (semi) circular references. On a normal
component this is almost guaranteed. With the byproduct processing you may
be safe, but for normal components, when you cut a shop order, the due date
is used for the BOM. Components default to being required on the start date
of the order. Order date for A. uses 10/16 bill. Component B is required
10/05, and uses 10/05 bill if you cut an order for it.   All of this can be
worked around, but there are probably other ways this can bite you.

Harmon Zieske
Nexgen Software Technologies

original note follows

4.0.5 CD on an AS/400.

We have a situation where Product A's BOM has Product B as a co-product.
Since we sell a lot more of A then we we sell of B, we want to take out B
from A's BOM.  Simple enough using a discontinue date.

But, we want A to be a co-product of B's BOM now.  This is done due to the
way we slice the WIP product.  BOM500 tells us that we can't add A to B
because it would be a circular reference.  This is correct -if- the
discontinue and effective dates were not correctly specified.  I know what
BOM500 is doing, it's just checking for item references without regard to
effectivity dates.  So, my question is this: What would be the best way to
handle this situation?

1.  Force A into B's BOM either through DFU, or temporarily bypassing the
looping logic.
2.  Put code into the program that will take dates into consideration.
3.  Delete the discontinued co-product rather than in-effective it.
4.  Something else.

Thanks,
Bill

+---