  • Subject: Re: About BPCS V6.1.01 MM - related question
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 22:18:08 EDT

Rob,

In a message dated 9/20/00 7:56:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
stagis@fansteelvrwesson.com writes:

> My other plant is currently implementing pretty-much-modified V6.1.01MM.
>  When you said 'depending on how much of the code they modified' what did
you
>  mean?  The vanilla version worked better or worse?

What I meant was that companies tend to overestimate how much they can get
done.  While the modified code _does_ tend to perform more poorly, the
biggest problem is that companies think that they can adjust to the CASE
paradigm in a short period of time with little training for technical
personnel.

Why does the new code perform more poorly?  Staff inexperience with SQL
programming and tuning it for performance is one reason.  SSA's insistence in
providing AS/Set training that bears no resemblance to how AS/Set is used
with BPCS is another.  Using SQL when its use is unnecessary is an easy trap
to fall into -- especially with the sometimes disjointed BPCS file structure.

Primarily, I meant that the more code you modify, the further you're going to
fall behind.  The project estimation techniques that you've used for years
are invalid until your technical staff has had at least a year with AS/Set
and the "new" BPCS...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Quitting smoking is the easiest thing to do.  I've done it thousands of
times." -- Mark Twain
+---