  • Subject: Re: Single Database - Multi Country, Multi Site
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 18:32:35 EDT

Today on BPCS 405 CD mixed mode we are running 3 manufacturing make-to-order
and engineer-to-order job-shop sites totalling 4 facilities on a single data
base environment and single AS/400 with 50 hands-on users & this has been our
reality since 1998.  All sites are in USA, although from HQ, one is 600 miles
in one direction & other is 60 miles in other direction.  We are not using
multi-currency.

1989 to 1998 we ran BPCS/36 using same mixed mode CPU but separate data base
for each facility, starting at about 25 users & somewhere in the middle of
those 10 years we increased from 2 to 3 sites & moved our HQ.

I joined the firm in 1984 at which time Central was using MAPICS I with a
S/36 where I worked & a S/34 at the other site, in which neither had the full
range of modules, and pieces of data base were floating back & forth over
switched communications lines.

You may ask me about this on or off the list.  I believe that for our
corporate culture, & organization of division of responsibilities, &
similarity of product mix accross facilities, that single data base
environment meant that the clerical staff staff requirements took a dramatic
leap downward thanks to the consolidation of data bases.

When you consider that we were paying over one thousand dollars a month per
SDLC leased line between each site from ma bell for over 10 years, it is real
critical to compare that to the payroll dollars for the increased staff
needed for duplication of work at each end without such connections.

One thing that was extremely aggravating to my financial management when we
were still on two boxes & considering a 3rd or even 4th site, was that the
software vendors would not give our corporation a significant discount for
additional licenses.  We were basically told ... if you buy 10-12 copies of
our software, we MIGHT give you a 5% discount on the extra copies, but for
2-3 copies, pay full price for each one.

This sort of topic you may also wish to post on MIDRANGE-L or other forum,
since a lot of the trade-offs are related to what are all the cost elements
of one high speed high performance AS/400 with decent phone lines as opposed
to several cheaper AS/400, with whatever impact this has on user pricing, and
do all the remote sites need what kind of peripheral support.

We use Perle so that we can have both twinax & Windows boxes at all sites.

We recently converted from extremely expensive ma bell leased lines that each
one could only handle voice or fax or data of particular kind, to much more
economical & equally secure VPN that can handle all of our telephonic
traffic.  I think it is too soon to know the impact of this outside the cost
of the phone lines.

VPN does not go down as often as the leased lines did, but when it goes down
it takes down all remote sites, and also our external Windows NT network,
except for users at HQ.  Previously the leased line to the site 600 miles
away went down once every 5 years & the leased line to the site 60 miles away
went down once every 5 days.  Now with VPN the 600 miles away site is having
to deal with regular outages and the folks there are totally inexperienced in
how to cope with that.

>  From:    jclark@cott.com
>
>  We intend to implement eBPCS 6.1 full client/server on a single database
> and single AS400 to support at least 10-12 manufacturing sites between
Canada
> and the US.   I am interested in talking to anyone who has experience with
>  running a single database for mulitple plants and the lessons learned in
>  doing so.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies
+---