  • Subject: Re: =?gb2312?B?Rnc6IFVuZGVsaXZlcmVkIE1haWwgUmV0dXJuZWQgo6
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 03:38:43 EDT

fupingren@yeah.net writes:

> ITHL02 Record is full

Until you fix this, BPCS will not let you do anything that adds transactions
to the Inventory History File, such as Shipping-Billing fulfillment of
customer orders, CST100 changes to cost, which adds a # audit trail,
receiving into inventory, quality inspections, pricing receipts, factory
inventory transactions, inventory transfers, corrections, cycle counting or
physical inventory, because you have filled up the inventory transaction
history file.

If some co-worker is unaware of this & tries to run such tasks, they will
crash, with additional corruption to your data base.  If you have the
enterprise authority, I would tell everyone that BPCS is down until you have
fixed it, so as to avoid additional activity that makes your mess any worse.

Restoring to the last backup prior to this mess might be worth considering
depending on whether you were not able to quickly stop operations after this
discovery.

Furthermore when you got the error message, something was probably running
that was trying to write transactions to that file, and in the process of
getting stuck, the program may have done an incomplete task of everything
else ti was doing, so you may have corrupted some portion of your overall
BPCS data base.

Depending on what computer platform operating system you are on & depending
on the nature of the error message that told you that you had filled up the
file, there are ways to make files larger, without losing the millions of
records that are in there now.

If you are on AS/400, use DSPPF (display physical file) to get statistics on
size of ITH now & then use CHGPF (change physical file) to redefine it as
somewhat larger than it now is, with provision to go larger than you
previously budgeted for.

Making an extra backup of the file before any changes might be smart just in
case I do not know what I am talking about.  The contents of this file are
used for a lot of stuff, such as CST900, and are not just for the amusement
of users interested in what got posted to some inventory or other activity.

Check your system parameters for how long you retain history on-line.  If you
hare hurting for disk space you may need to make the retention less time, so
that with your next fiscal you get rid of some more of the older records.
Note that it is INV900 within your end month fiscal steps that gets rid of
the older history records that your system parameters within SYS800 define as
not being needed on line any more.

Thanks for letting us know a manufacturer can do this to ourselves, so that
we will take measures to avoid falling into the same nasty situation.
Currently I have reports telling me disk space wasted due to deleted records,
telling me it is time to do a reorg.  I see now I also need a report telling
me what files are within some percentage of getting full, so I can relieve
them before getting into your mess.

If you are interested, one way to find out about this is to do a DSPFD for
the library containing your BPCS files to an *OUTFILE then run a query
against that *OUTFILE, if you are on AS/400 ... I do not know how to do it if
your BPCS is on UNIX or NT.

Thanks again for this warning & I hope that my suggestions have been helpful
to you.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies
+---