  • Subject: Re: Invoice Enquiry & Pick Slip Print
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 04:47:50 EDT

We are on BPCS 405 CD so some of our experience may not be relevant.

ACR300 is not really intended to be an inquiry into your detail item
shipments history ... for that you should be using SAL300, or ORD300 if the
blanket order is still open.  You could also look at INV300 history with "B"
filter.  We have also added some query inquiries in which people select
customer # & date range & get to see what we shipped on which day by what
truck line on which customer PO # & stuff like that.  We use variations on
this to send some customers a report every morning by fax or e-mail listing
all the stuff we shipped to them the previous day.  Eventually this will be
on our web site with password protection so that each customer will only see
what we sent them.

We use blanket orders quite heavily for example some customer wants the same
item 500 this week, 500 next week, 500 week after etc. so that the same order
# will show up on multiple order lines.

Assuming we ship on schedule, then all is well ... this is the 500 they
wanted on that ship day, but some customer buyers tell us changes in what
they want & do not tell their own accounting department which complains to us
that we did not ship according to original Purchase Order & we have to
explain to them that other folks at their company asked for changes ... this
means you gotta document who said what.

We also arrange to get documentation from the trucking company with proof of
delivery, because some customers will say "We cannot pay for this because we
did not receive it" so we send them copy of trucking company documentation
showing name of person who signed for receipt on what day at their offices,
and suggest that if this is not one of their employees, that they call the
police.

Truth is not that our customers are crooks trying to cheat us of payiment,
rather that if they have a computer system, it is not as good as BPCS for
keeping track of what they order from us, which is a sorry state of affairs.

There is a document # associated with shipments, an invoice # ... so even
though it is the same original blanket order # with customer PO# in ACR300,
the invoice # & shipping document # should be different, unique.   The
invoice prints the item that was shipped, how many of the item shipped, and
information about the trucking company used ... we modified the invoice
printing program to add some clarity - we also modified the shipping
documents to include such things as the document #, and the name of our
company & which warehouse we were shipping from to help with back tracking.

We also added some reports from SIL file = detail history of line items on
invoice
SSD & SSH which have totals of shipments for month & year on customer item
combination.  Right before the Billing is done, we do reports off of the BBL
file to let everyone see what got shipped today.

If deleted from spool file, there are some bad words about that action, that
we are not supposed to utter.  We changed ours to go on hold on spool file
after printing, because printer jams can happen right at the end of a string
of documents & people want to reprint what got messed up in printer, and also
we have people who leave printer running unattended & not realize the ribbon
is twisted without causing a jam or ink is faded or unreadable, so we not
delete spool entry until we see the document is correct, but to err is human.

BPCS 405 has a menu option to modify an shipping document & reprint it in the
modified form, which we have not used - I shudder to think what this does to
accounting for the changes after we mailed out the first version invoices.
If you track the document #s, you should be able to figure out which ones you
lost.  If you can figure out which files contain the data that shows up on
the documents, you may be able to reconstruct the document without rerunning
any programs, that could mess up something else.  I would start by looking at
what is in ES* files.

>  From:    fupingren@yeah.net (Ren Fu Ping)
>
>  Dear all,
>      1.can you help me to enquiry any invoice through Billing release
>  function? i find some problem with it. if you enquiry by ACR300,you only
>  enquiry an order by invoice no. but, when an order is printed by two or
>  three invoice, how can i know any invoice match any item?
>      2.when you excute pick release, a pick slip displayed in spool
>  file,but when you delete it uncarefully,how to generate it again?
>      I use BPCS 6.0.02 on AS/400.
>  any reply is very appreciate.
>

>  Best Regards!
>
>  F.P.Ren
>  IT & Project Supervisor

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor

Y2K is not the end of my universe, but a re-boot of that old Chinese curse.
The road to success is always under construction.
Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days the statue.
Murphy's Mom brought wrong baby home from hospital so it should be Kelly's
Law.
If consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, only geniuses work here.
When you want it cheap - you get what you paid for.
When in doubt, read the manual, assuming you can find the right one.
+---