  • Subject: Re: CIMPATH on version 6.1
  • From: "Peggy A. Heritz" <pheritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 00:16:11 -0500

Perhaps you are having a hard time getting "the"answer because there several
ways to "replace" CIMPath functionality in v6.1.1.  We have worked with CIMPath
since the mid 80's, and have implemented all of the options listed below in v6.
The "right" answer for each company depends on a number of issues including the
specific transactions required and modules you have licensed.   I would be happy
to discuss in more detail for your specific situation off line.

Two "SSA endorsed" options are:

1) ECM via Electronic Commerce Adapters (ECAs) and SMGs.  The specifics vary
with your version of BPCS (green screen vs full client server), and the specific
transactions you want.  With CIMPath, one module covered all types of labor and
inventory transactions.  With this option, there are separate ECAs and/or SMGs
involved for each type of transaction.  The v6.1 net change document contains a
grid listing what CIMPath transactions correspond to each ECA/SMG. As you will
see on the grid, not every transaction supported by CIMPath has an existing
SMG/ECA.

2) iWorks, and SSA portfolio partner, has a product line called dcServe.
dcServe contains elements that replace all the functionality in CIMPath.

If you want more information about SMGs/ECA/dcServe & how that all related to
CIMPath, let me know and I will  forward info from a presentation I did last
year at the MBUG user's conference.

Some other options:

1) If you are currently using a pre v6.1.1 version of CIMPath, it may be
relatively easy to convert your current version of CIMPath to work with v6.1.
The ability to do this depends on what transactions you want to bring forward.
The initial release of v6.1.00 does not include CIMPath, so this would also be a
customized solution.

2) As of  v6, the "on-line" inventory and shop floor labor programs have been
designed to call "batch" programs to perform the database updates.  Again,
depending on the transactions you want to process, you can design your front end
interface to call the std BPCS programs to update the database.  This is
obviously a customized solution.

3) Again, depending on the transactions you want to collect and you operating
environment, a popular way to integrate data collection is to bypasses CIMPath
and other interfaces completely using RF scanners running the std BPCS programs.
In this situation, new "front end" screens are typically created to fit on the
RF screen & order the fields in a manner consistent with the scanned data.

Peggy Heritz
BPCS Executive
Crowe, Chizek & Company, LLP
http://www.crowechizek.com/scg/
phone: 219.236.8698
fax:        219.236.7615

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          RickCarter@ho|
|        |          lley.com     |
|        |                       |
|        |          04/24/00     |
|        |          11:00 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          BPCS-L       |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       To:     BPCS-L@midrange.com                                          |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Peggy A. Heritz/SB/CroweChizek/US)                     |
  |       Subject:     Re: CIMPATH on version 6.1                              |

Per the Cimpath issue, I've been working with SSA for a month now and
knowone there seems to want to address which set of ?? was designed to
replace CIMPATH.
I've personally spoken to 3-4 different SSA people and it's almost like the
ECM with SMG's and the stand alone bundle of SMG's might work but maybe not
and so on and so forth and maybe this and maybe that.  The bottom line,
I've not gotten any kind of real answer that can be taken and proceeded
with.

Thanks

                    "Genyphyr
                    Novak"                 To:     <BPCS-L@midrange.com>
                    <novakg@ssax.co        cc:
                    m>                     Subject:     Re: CIMPATH on version
6.1
                    Sent by:
                    owner-bpcs-l@mi
                    drange.com

                    04/24/2000
                    09:06 AM
                    Please respond
                    to BPCS-L

Hello,

Not sure what you mean by this posting. Can you clarify what it is that you
want to know?

SSA has some information posted on the support site. If you go to OGS
Online, there is a lot of information about SMGs and also the Net Change
document for 6.1.00 is posted there, and you can read about what functions
in CIMPath are replaced using SMGs. You could also contact your sales rep
for further information.

Thanks

Genyphyr Novak
SSA