  • Subject: Re: We lost BBL records (I'm still need your advice)
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 03:30:56 EDT

Al.Mac suggested

> > Get all the shipments made on those two dates.
>  > Check out what is in SIH SIL invoice history files

JM wrote

>  BINGO! That is what I am doing, I got the shipments
>  from the LLL and the orders lines billed from the SIL.
>  I have the data now, the problem is that create all
>  those orders will take too much time. The challenge
>  now is to generate orders from this data. I'm trying
>  to find out if just generate records in the ECH and
>  ECL files would be enough?

Well I am glad one of my wild & crazy ideas hit a nerve, even though I am in
the dark ages of 405 CD - You do not need to answer my rhetorical questions
phrased to try to illuminate trap doors you might not want to fall down.

Do you have to reconcile with some customers the year-to-date, month-to-date,
totals shipped on blanket orders, last shipment details, so that you & they
know what must be in transit & is this scenario resolution at risk of messing
this up?

Do you ever have cases of delivery charges that you cannot put on the regular
invoices because the data goes to the wrong place in General Ledger & you
have to do some other follow-up invoices?

We use the ECS lines to do odd ball billing like tooling charges & overtime
on rush orders.   You might be able to use ECS lines & order notes to do like
a little essay to bill your customers for what needs to be billed, but since
it comes from the essay text, it does not touch customer order data, sales
history, inventory, etc. with duplicate entries - the only thing my following
scheme idea should do is create invoices reflecting what was shipped in those
two days, increasing what the customer owes, and teach you that BPCS supports
embezzlement.

( There are ways with BPCS to do less visible hanky panky with the books,
that I will not get into here )

I speculate that
1. you could create an abundance of garbage customer order note lines by just
entering one keystroke & moving onto next line, in which you create more
lines than you needed earlier - at this point you are totally in sync with
BPCS files
2. the SIL info could be dumped into a report whose width is less than order
note lines & placed in *OUTFILE format ... a simple query perhaps
3. dump that *OUTFILE into customer order notes writing over the top of the
garbage lines you created earlier ... a tiny modification, possibly doable
with OS/400 commands & provided you do not add any lines, BPCS remains fooled
with nothing out of sync
situation & delete any excess lines
5. Run billing that prints the notes containing the data from SIL

There's a billing option that functions without any data in ECH ECL
It is called POST SHIP BILLING & it is intended to handle a scenario where
you magically shipped something to a customer without really manufacturing it
by normal processes.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor
+---