If you are doing anything with reconciliation, the ABR file is another one
you will need to hit.

                    MacWheel99@aol.

                    com                    To:     BPCS-L@midrange.com (BPCS
Users Discussion Group)
                    Sent by:               cc:

                    owner-bpcs-l@mi        Subject:     AP Check # Files

                    drange.com

                    04/05/2000

                    02:33 AM

                    Please respond

                    to BPCS-L

We managed to get a little mess today, then compounded it somewhat & I need

to know what files the Accounts Payable Checks end up in ... I suspect Bank

Reconciliation, Vendor History, Payables Paid, General Ledger History, and
possibly some intermediate work files.  We are on BPCS 405 CD Mixed Mode.

Our scenario.

Accounting User-A sets up printer for ACP650 Checks.

Other User-B needs some green bar report & gets a message like "Checks now
in
printer ... your report needs *STD ... various choices." not super clear to

folks who not have a lot of occasion to get reports from printers.

User-B, without actually physically visiting printer to see if there is
green
bar there or Checks, takes option to print green bar report on whatever
forms
now there, which happen to be Accounts Payable Checks.

Our checks have pre-printed check #s in which we key in next # that will be

printed & it assumes no form handling hassles, incrementing check # in
computer records in sync with check # that was pre-printed & now check
written to.

If this had happened to me, my first choice would be to stop the printing
of
the checks, void the unprinted virtual checks, and regenerate the checks to

be printed, starting on some other check #, in which 50 some real checks
might actually have to be voided.  My second choice would be to very neatly

cross out the pre-printed check # & scribble in the one in the computer &
initial it, and have the person who wanted the green bar report actually do

the clerical work for me.  But that is not what my accounting collegues
selected.

Basically, ignore the problem - Al Mac the computer janitor will figure out

for us how to fix this.  That's why they pay me the big bucks - but I do
have
an accounting volunteer to DFU change records if I walk him through how to
get at whatever files have the checks with the wrong numbers.  I pointed
out
to him that it might be smart to advance the check #s from the bottom of
the
list to avoid the complication of even temporarily having two records with
the same check #, and to have a before/after query as insurance against the

dreaded EL TYPO.  As far as I can tell, the checks have been mailed off to
pay the bills but they have very neatly scribbled on the check listing what

the correct check numbers should be.

GO CMDREF on ACP650 told me that ASW is where the checks go, and if they
were
still there, it might be an easy DFU of one record one check to fix, but
they
have done whatever accounting does after writing checks, propagating this
AMH AML files & I was looking in GLD files to see if check # granularity
extended there.  The CFO tells me that he has in the past tried to
backtrack
GL stuff to checks & been unable to do so ... just because he has not found

the check # in that file does not mean that it is not there, but I suspect
fixing ACP720 bank reconciliation is more important than pursuing that
notion.

I run various vanilla accounting reports to see if check # is obvious any
place else.

GLD250 fails on divide by zero at statement 11000 in base 405 CD version
telling me I have found a program that no co-worker has ever tried to run,
and I have yet another bug report to send into SSA.

I went into our conversion library to check on BPCS file functionality
documentation but access is solid CFP4101 & other error messages ... this
is
an example of Murphy's Law ... I have not needed in there for months ...
computer running smoothly, I get up to go to the bathroom & right at that
instant the printer runs out of paper & I am flooded with error messages.

AMH looks like it has one record for each of the check #s
AML looks like it has some multiple of 2 records for each check involved,
like GLD double entry book keeping, except there are some big multiples.

I am suspecting there is a header / line relationship between AMH & AML ...

one header several lines.

I think AMH AML represent the checks that have been written, while APH APL
represent the payables that the checks paid for ... might the check # also
be
somewhere in APH APL?

Files I normally futz with have logicals that sequence active records
correlating with what I want to accomplish, but I am not seeing any good
candidates here.

Suggestions welcomed regarding what I might have missed so far.

This would have been a perfect time for me to have the DSL manual handy.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor
+---