ROTFLMAOPIMP!!!!  sorry, I know you are serious.

From:                   MacWheel99@aol.com
Date sent:              Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:35:59 EST
Subject:                Quoting
To:                     BPCS-L@midrange.com (BPCS Users Discussion Group)
Send reply to:          BPCS-L@midrange.com

Is anyone using the Quoting software that comes with ORD on BPCS 405 CD?

I have had some users ask me about the practicality of us using this software
to streamline our quoting process & my answer has been that we need to get a
SERIOUS package that is DESIGNED for quoting for OUR INDUSTRY, and also other
inter-related issues such as good inspection points & continuous redesign to
resolve new quality problems as they are identified, such as Capital H,
provided we can find a competitor that interfaces with BPCS worth a damn.
http://www.harness-software.com

We currently do our make-to-order job shop quoting on several PC applications
that individually are not really designed for the task & human transcription
from reports off of BPCS.  From an initial casual glance at what BPCS calls
quoting, it looks to me like we would key in what looks like a customer
order, then when happy with it, push a button & it becomes a real customer
order.

What we need is something that does same as except with similar engineering
BOM & routings ... we can make various components that are the same as this
except this porion is longer, up to the limits of the machinery involved,
which would need to be in the system wo the human does not have to remember
that, so that for similar sub-component structures the only price difference
would be the materials included.  I do not see anything in BPCS that does
anything like that.

What types of quoting software, if any, do other BPCS manufacturers use ...
how do you get information from BPCS to that software, such as known costs
for standard sub-component designs, then when a customer approves a quote,
how do you get that info into BPCS?  Is it all manual transcription like we
do?

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor
http://www.whma.org = our nitch industry has a large committee searching for
ErPdMes products right for WHM without work-arounds, which for many members
resemble a snipe hunt - if you are in this software business & want to fix
your product so it will not be mistaken for what your competition has been
doing, then you might want to join our great game.

+---