  • Subject: Re: Clarification of BPCS-L guidelines
  • From: "Genyphyr Novak" <novakg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 17:56:31 -0600

Hi,

I will give my opinion on this since I was personally mentioned several
times. First, thanks for spelling my name correctly.

I am not the official voice of SSA, and I post replies on my own, not
because it is 'my job' or because someone told me to 'watch BPCS-L' . I do
it because I am a AS/400 geek who needs to get a life.  :-)

To tell the truth I have been participating on this forum for over a year
now, under another name. I had people write questions directed to me
previously during a discussion thread that developed, but no one mentioned
anything about that being 'off topic' until I now started to post as
'novakg@ssax.com'.

I honestly do not see anything different about Peter's reply than I do to
any other posting thread that has occurred where someone reports a problem,
someone else posts additional questions to get more specific about the
problem, and then the questions are replied to. The fact that he addressed
his post to "Genyphyr" was out of politeness, and this is done very often on
the list group. I don't see why that is a problem or why it might be off
topic.

More people than myself and Peter participated in this thread, and in fact
my intial advice to him was only partially correct, and the correct answer
to the other part (the BMR at fault for changing the behavior of CEA500BN)
was posted by another user on the list, Rindi Wheeler. So, obviously others
had this same problem/question and it DID indeed apply to more than one
person on the mailing list. Therefore, I don't think the point you bring up
is particularly valid in this case.

This is a mailing list, so naturally it generates e-mail in your mail inbox.
Most e-mail programs have an agent or filter that can put mail from a
particular subject line or what have you into it's own folder automatically
and you can scan and read the mails at your leisure. . .

You can also subscribe to the list under 'Yahoo' 'hotmail' or other free
e-mail address to keep the mailing list mail out of your company mailbox if
you find the numbers of postings to be over-whelming.

Don't count on me for 'insider' SSA news and information. You can do that on
OGS Online - there is an Info Center where you can ask questions about the
future direction of the product, and where official replies are given and
official notices are posted about sunset dates, product bulletins etc..
These questions are directed to the SSA Managers who can provide official
answers. If you don't have access to OGS, you can ask your Sales Rep from
SSA to get this information for you.

I personally would not answer any 'official policy' type questions directly
(is/when there going to be a 6.1.00 cume), unless an official document
already was in existence which I could point someone towards.

My answers regarding ADK versions, for example are only reflections of the
official install instructions that come with that product and the official
support policy of the SSA HelpLine.

In other words, I am not going to give out "inside information" that is not
available elsewhere. I will try to clarify any mis-understandings of SSA's
policies or information if I notice it.

And naturally, some things are truly better handled by a HelpLine call, and
I will say that in my postings when that is my opinion. I am not part of SSA
HelpLine any longer. From working there previously, I notice the majority of
people who post to this list are people who also subscribe to OGS and who do
call HelpLine - so I really don't think this is going to replace or threaten
that in any way shape or form.

In my postings, I often point out how to better use, navigate or understand
the other SSA services that exist, such as OGS, or our custom programming
solutions. Other vendors plug their services here, and as a software vendor
employee, I choose to plug my companies' services when appropriate to the
question at hand. As far as I know, that is well within adherence to the
list guidelines.

cheers,

Genyphyr Novak
System Software Engineer
SSA

"Opinions expressed are MINE - mine mine mine mine all mine"