  • Subject: Re: Vendor Guidelines
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 00:01:24 EST

Bill (et al),

In a message dated 1/27/00 2:10:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
brobins3d@yahoo.com writes:

<<snip>>
> Dean,
>
>  How do you interpret this sentence from the user guidelines?
>
>  "Vendor postings are prohibited unless they pertain to a specific question
or
>  are related to a new product or service for BPCS users."
>
>  Was his mistake the question about marketing?  Or was it the announcement?
>  Or a combination of both?

A combination of both.  The announcement alone might have "passed muster"
(although I personally prefer a "Press Release"), but the combination of the
announcement and asking for marketing help did not.  Most vendors avail
themselves of the courtesy of e-mailing me their content directly prior to
posting to the list (even when the content would be totally acceptable), I
offer a couple of minor changes so that members will not be offended and list
guidelines will be adhered to, then they post to the list in general.

The poster wasn't formally announcing a new product or service, was not
answering a specific question, and _WAS_ asking a large portion of the BPCS
community to help him with his marketing efforts.  As a BPCS consultant, I
_MUST_ maintain a level of integrity on this list that is beyond reproach.  I
_COULD_ utilize the e-mail addresses available to me as a marketing tool for
my own business, but instead use them only for helping those whose domain
names have changed.  I'm certainly not going to allow a third party to
utilize the forum to advertise as we say here in the South, "in front of God
and everybody", to an all but captive audience.

However, you are not the first person that felt that I was too harsh in my
judgment on this issue (the second, actually).  Admittedly, I was in a bad
mood from too little sleep ferrying healthcare workers to area hospitals
during our recent "blizzard", and may have acted in haste.  If enough people
write to me _DIRECTLY_ (NOT to BPCS_L), I am willing to reconsider my ban.
Votes sent to BPCS-L@MIDRANGE.COM will _NOT_ be considered.  My direct
address appears below...

Regards,

Dean Asmussen
BPCS-L List Administrator
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." -- Vince Lombardi
+---