  • Subject: RE: NEWI Daemon & IPLing - Update - DO NOT TRY IT
  • From: Dennis Munro <DMunro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:57:44 -0600

Genyphyr,

<snip>
What you say about the object authority change causing BPCS not to run is
simply NOT TRUE.
<snip>
        When you don't understand all that happens behind the scenes, I
still stand by my statement.
        All I did was change the authority to QPGMR for the object
QSYS/QSYGETPH to *ALL & then
IPLed the system.  And by doing that, my BPCS system would not run & that is
what I said.
It would not run - period.  You would click on a menu option & it would just
sit there.

<snip>
        You can change the authorities on those objects back to what you had
them
        this AM, and BPCS will work just fine.
<snip>
        That's exactly what I did.

<snip>
        When you start the daemon manually - who runs it - not QPGMR, right?

        Probably yourself, or someone who is copied from QSECOFR?
<snip>
        You are correct, it was my profile & it was copied from QSECOFR.
How did you guess?<vbg>

<snip>
        4. This is described in the Redbook as well, so you can certainly
look at chapters
        which describe OMS in the Redbook to become more clear on these
points.
<snip>
        I have the Redbook printed & in a 3 ring binder.  The only problem
is finding time to read it.
        Your comments may just have moved that up to a higher priority.
I've paged through some of
the manual (464 pages in total) & it is almost overwhelming to think of
reading &
UNDERSTANDING it.  We may be discussing it more via e-mail as I get into the
manual.

<snip>
        5. Back to my original answer I posted on this subject. QPGMR and
the
        regular startup job QSTRUP is not the ideal vehicle to start this
stuff,
        unless you enjoy giving QPGMR *ALLOBJ authority (not a good thing to
do!).
<snip>
        I will not give QPGMR *ALLOBJ authority - I even disliked doing it
for the one object.

<snip>
        Likely it was not clearly documented in your install instructions
because 6002 was,
let's just say kindly - somewhat underdocumented in this area.
<snip>
        I like your choice of words.  Nothing like being politically
correct.  As though I never
        done something similar.

<snip>
        Instead, use the startup to start TCP/IP. Put in a 5-10 minute
delay. Then
        start your BPCS subsystem. An autostart job in the BPCS subsystem
should be
        called to start your daemons and should be submitted by a user
profile you
        invent anew just for this purpose. Give it *ALLOBJ and give it
Password
        *NONE so that no one may hack with it.
<snip>
        Is there an example in your (seeing as how you were one of the
authors) Redbook
of your above comment?  I've not coded an autostart job so it might take me
a while
to figure out what is needed.  Or one in BPCS I can look at?

<snip>
        6. I suggest you test this whole scenario on the weekend and get a
normal
        BPCS user profile and sign on and try it yourself too, rather than
awaiting
        the users to come in on the AM and not be able to get into BPCS.
<snip>
        That is what will happen the next time this type of change is done.
I do have a "normal"
        BPCS profile that I use to do the security changes.  This is what
happens when you don't
        understand how BPCS works behind the scenes.  You take a chance of
getting bitten, big time.
        I just didn't think it was a big deal to change the authority on the
QSYS/QSYGETPH object.  The
        error I was getting just didn't lead me to think that it was a big
deal.  Lesson learned.

Thanks for your comments.

Dennis

"One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be
done." -- Marie Curie
"I love deadlines.  I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they
go flying by."  Dilbert's Words Of Wisdom:

Dennis Munro
Badger Mining Corporation
dmunro@badgerminingcorp.com <mailto:dmunro@badgerminingcorp.com>
(920) 361-2388