Also if  your problem is related to WRKQRY in that query needs a PRINT device
rather that an OUTQ, just leave the print device to be *PRINT as shown below.
Then before you run the query do a CHGJOB OUTQ(whatever).
I use this for queries I run in Batch.  Be careful to do another CHGJOB to
reset the OUTQ
after running the query.
                             Define Printer Output
      Type choices, press Enter.
   Printer  . . . . . . . . .   *PRINT       *PRINT, name
   Form size:
     Length . . . . . . . . .                Blank, 1-255
     Width  . . . . . . . . .   132          Blank, 1-378

Mark Davidson wrote:

> What we do to solve this particular problem is AFTER creating the remote
> outq, we create a printer device with the same name. Specify "Online at IPL
> - *NO", which will keep the system from trying to start the writer at IPL.

+---