  • Subject: Re: Open files after programs ending
  • From: Ata510@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 22:11:20 EDT

fkolmann@revlon.com.au writes:

> Am I stupid and/or has something about the AS400 changed.
>  When I code for leaving files open I was under the impression that one
> needed to
>  use OVRDBF SHARE(*YES) and also have a file opening program at the top of
> the
There is always the CRTSQLRPG compile option which leaves files open between
calls of the same program within the same user job (whether batch or
interactive) - CLOSQLCUR *ENDJOB versus the default of *ENDPGM, will leave
files 'parially closed' by simple virtue of a compile option. In 6.0.04 and
more so in 6.1.00 BPCS is compiled to take advantage of this. All you have to
do in your program is make sure you close your cursors properly, so you don't
end up re-positioned in the wrong place in a file when you return to it.

Having many ODPs on one job is not the bane of performance as it once was on
the AS/400, and in fact can actually be an OK thing, especially when you do
have programs which take advantage of re-usable ODPs. You can find out if the
program is generating re-usable ODPs or not by running STRDBG (no program
name) UPDPROD *YES over a given job with SQL in it, and view the job log for
SQL messages.

+---