The virtual device is auto-created on the AS/400 only once and is used by
the user on a first come first serve basis by device type. The reason for
the re-name is that BPCS concatenates characters to the beginning of the
data area names like a Q || QPADEV00.
SSA recommends that device names not exceed 8 characters. When the virtual
device is created it is something like: QPADEV0001 which is to long by SSA
standards. If you do not rename your devices you will be sorry if you are
on BPCS 6.X.
Because the ZPD file uses device to control print jobs. If the name is too
long (over 8 then jobs that belong to QPADEV00 through QPADEV01 there are
99 devices and are assigned to QPADEV00 which will mess your system up. You
will find picking running invoicing and all kinds of weird stuff.

How I control the virtual device is a call to a custom program just after
the load of BPCS and before the display of the user menu in the initial
BPCS program called BPCSMENU in BPCSUSR.

Example of Modification  to BPCSMENU
.. 1 ...+... 2 ...+... 3 ...+... 4 ...+... 5 ...+... 6 ...+... 7 ...+..

***********************************************************/
* Get initial library list from data area, add in the     */
* system libraries in the user potion of the library list */
* and change the library list via QCMDEXEC                */
***********************************************************/

      RTVDTAARA DTAARA(&USRLIB/INLIBL) RTNVAR(&LIBL)
      CHGVAR     VAR(&CMD) VALUE('CHGLIBL LIBL(' *CAT &LIBL +
                    *BCAT 'QGPL QTEMP' *TCAT ')') */

      CALL PGM(QCMDEXC) PARM(&CMD &LEN)
      CALL       PGM(UR1000C) /* <== Custom Job */

In the Custom Job called by UR1000C I do the following:

1.) I have a file of defaults by USER ID. If not there I add using a
default user info. look for user in ZXUL01 if not there shut down.
2.) I turn remembered keys off (because they would be some else's
remembered keys).
2. )I create the data area if it does not exist. (because if I don't, I
will not be loading a data area, and the job will bomb).
3.) Ready to return control to BPCS.

If you need additional information give me a call (662)890-8182. I will try
to help.

Sincerely,

Chris Ertz
Software Development Manager