  • Subject: Re: List of AS400 users
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:18:31 EDT

from Al Macintyre

I have several problems with the way you have phrased your request for help.

If you really truly need customers, there are hundreds of thousands of them
waiting to respond to your legitimate advertising in the AS/400 trade press,
but if this is the start of a shoe string business, you could settle for tens
of thousands of contacts through free announcement on the AS/400 forums, of
which I have shared the URLs of many in past threads - check the archives
under "New to this Listing" for example.

The only reason I can see that anyone would want to use a computer to
automate identification of wrong numbers is precisely to call those wrong
numbers and harrass innocent consumers who do not care for phone spam, which
is illegal but unenforced.  If I am ever on the jury for someone who has
engaged in large scale spam, hacking, vruses, etc. I will vote for the
maximum sentence for everyone involved.

Whenever the phone rings & I hear those recorded messages, I am immediately
hostile & when my caller-id identifies the outfit that is responsible, I
share by word of mouth the fact that that outfit is engaging in this
consumer-hostile spam.  You might think some aspects of computerization mean
improved profits, but unwanted computerized calls, faxes, junk, are extremely
unpopular due to the volume of abuse.

Your e-mail return address is an example of delimberately misleading - I
opened it thinking "IBM must be sending an e-mail about policy - some idiots
have asked about privacy to the point that we all need to be reminded that
the I of IBM is for Integrity."

Al Macintyre
Programmer who thinks your deal smells, but we try to be polite here

>  From:    as400@rochester.rr.com (Midrange Information Services)
>
>  Hi,
>
>  I am writing a software program that will AutoDial pre-selected phone
>  numbers from a database and enter the responses using "voice recognition"
>  back into that database.
>
>  This allows someone to eliminate wrong or disconnected numbers, update area
>  codes and confirm good information in their customer databases without
>  having to pay someone to sit there and dial each number. This can save a
>  company a huge amount of money depending on the size of their database.
>
>  This software is written for an IBM AS400 computer and I am looking for
>  someone who has a list of AS400 end users that I can market my software to.
>
>  Can anyone help me?
>
>  Thanks
>
>  Wayne Thomas
>  as400@rochester.rr.com