  • Subject: Re: Performance solutions through helpful information
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 14:38:54 EDT

> Subj:  Re: [Re: Performance solutions through hardware - points to consider]
>
>  Ata510@aol.com wrote:
>  >> I don't think there was/is a good way for SSA Helpline to let every
>  customer in the world know about something like this existing, really,
> except via their own web site on OGS.<<
>
>  From:    BillZBubb@netscape.net (Bill Robins)
>  Do you -really- mean this?  They have no problem finding me when the
support
>  contract is due.  They have no problem finding me when they advertise their
>  education schedule.  SSA Southeast can find me.
>
>  In reality, they just don't think it is important enough.
>  The very least they
>  could do is initiate a monthly technical services bulletin.
>  Many software companies are doing this now.

SSA could make a little more money off of us by selling an optional enhanced
tech support information service.  We would register / update what modules we
are using & possibly a copy of our system parameters & some info that goes
beyond pure BPCS & hardware platform versions.  This would create a data base
by client of what all we are using broken down to sub-module features.  SSA
might even provide the software to us that gathers up all the info that is
needed into a file that we then send to them by a choice of methods.  Then
whenever we do an upgrade of OS/400, or add another remote site, or perhaps
just on a bimonthly basis in case we overlook anything, we send them a
refreshed file.

When they discover a problem, needing a fix, or create a fix, they would
categorize it by the sub-module version mix that it applies to, then on a
regular basis, like daily, run the latest news of problems & fixes against
the client data base of who has the relevant scenarios that this fix applies
to & when there is a hit, the matching program would check - how does this
client want to be notified of the problem that applies to them - fax, e-mail,
snail mail, voice phone, or just send them the fix.  Some notifications would
come with the URL for more info, an order blank for getting that fix.

IBM offers subscription services to relevant fixes.  I wonder what % of their
customers take them up on them & what this adds to the IBM bottom line?
Whatever it is might be a good indication or estimate of what kind of bucks
SSA could stand to gain by offering such a service.

A good deal of a notification service can be automated, comparable to the IBM
i Source system of using an e-mail questionnairre to automatically update an
IBM data base of the types of IBM information you want to regularly receive.

You can VIEW or MODIFY your subscription and contact information or
UNSUBSCRIBE from this service via the iSource Web site at
http://www.ibm.com/iSource, or send a note to info@isource.ibm.com
with the word HELP for a list of e-mail instructions.

The same kind of system could be applied to keeping us informed on BPCS fixes
& new products that apply to us.  Some consultants might even pay SSA to have
their offerings included in the information system.  This could be a big
money maker for SSA, low cost to implement, big bang for their bottom line,
vast improvement in customer satisfaction, vast reduction in hassles for all
of us.

Where am I ignorant in that this seems self-evident to me, but SSA has not
yet discovered the concept?

It is possible that some consultants & 3rd party BPCS places are already
doing something like this - you don't have to wait for SSA to wake up to this
reality.  Check out what the other help services offer at what price compared
to SSA reality.

In another thread - ORD500 - where I never got a round TUIT on providing our
laundry list of problems - we shared a directory of URLs for places with
improvements & enhancements for BPCS aside from Y2K fix, and vague ERP
consulting services.  Many of them offer help support in competition with
what SSA offers, such as

http://www.nexgeninfo.com/helpdesk.htm
http://www.unbeatenpathintl.com/NoExcuses%20helpline%20BPCSASSET.html

We all have the IBM dial-up line to connect to Electronic Tech Support from
IBM & SOME consultants can remotely diagnose whatever the heck is causing our
problems & in some cases participate in providing us with solutions on-line.
I know of at least 2 BPCS support organizations that do this --- Crowe Chizek
& Unbeaten Path.

When we have a problem, we are often ignorant of what is causing the problem.
 It might be in vanilla SSA code, or some modification that we made or a
consultant made for us, or it might be an artifact of conversion, or
something our users in aggregate have been doing wrong.  I often feel when
dealing with SSA, that we are supposed to play detective & figure out what
the problem is before calling them & phrasing our call either we need a fix
of X or education in Y.  Some of the other help desk places claim to be more
proactive in tracking down our problem on the basis of the clues we share,
such as Nex Gen & Unbeaten Path --- we got this aid from Crowe Chizek but it
was expensive.

A problem has been found, we diagnosed it, with help from SSA & now it is
clear that we did it to ourselves & we need help extricating ourselves from
the mess.  Well that is a different division of SSA & it costs more money.
They have to get the $$$ that we cheated them out of by not getting the
education that we tried to run BPCS without going to BPCS University.  It
seems to me that there is a need to be able to buy a level of tech support
that recognizes that the client has many users that have not been to BPCS
University & needs a higher level of hand-holding.  Help support from the
other places claim to be like that.

On the basis of the help line's history of the kinds of habitual problems we
have been calling in on, SSA has the ability to run an analysis & say "this
client really really needs to send its personnel to BPCS University and take
a particular curriculum" then generate a communication that explains how they
came to those conclusions.

SSA help support is to help us with vanilla SSA code - if the problem is due
to our modifications, that is outside their responsibilities.  If the problem
is due to conversion problems, whether or not it was SSA code that caused
them, they are not there to help us extricate ourselves from that mess, we
have to go to extra $$$ professional services for that.

We need a mixture of help support that is irrespective of whether the problem
is in our version of SSA code, something modified, conversion artifact, we
shot ourselves in the foot without any help from SSA, our company decided not
to send everyone to BPCS University & now we are paying for that lack of BPCS
Education in other ways, and several of the alternative help support outfits
claim that their help support is that way.

When we call SSA tech support, we have to repeat some basic information about
who we are, our platform, version of OS, version of BPCS, etc. that for us
rarely changes, but if our end user neglects to mention any small piece of
the total technical jargon, SSA is like a toy robot obeying instructions of
flawed programming - they will send us a fix in format to site that is wrong
for us, just because our end user neglected to mention some info, that has
not changed for us in years.

ASAP Crowe IBM KellerSchroeder NexGen Scruggs UnBeatenPath

These outfits offer help support that does not operate this SSA way.

Their tech support personnel all have access to a data base of information
about us from one call to the next so that our user calls do not have to
repeat a humongous story of basic info in every call & if they make a
mistake, they learn & do not make the same mistake again.

Am I being unreasonable thinking that SSA might learn from the services of
some of their tech support competition?

Al Macintyre

+---