  • Subject: Re: Performance solutions through hardware - points to consider
  • From: Ata510@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:47:27 EDT

In a message dated 7/22/99 4:13:59 AM Central Daylight Time,
fkolmann@revlon.com.au writes:

> MUCH APRECIATED.  I did not use SSA helpline to get this sort of info, but
by
> the
>  same token this info was not volunteered by SSA nor did I have any idea
how
> to ask
>  about it.  This discussion group is very valuable to me in that it gives
me
> the
>  answers I need, in other words IT WORKS  he he he :) snigger:)
Hello,

Ah, but you actually could have used the Helpline of either IBM or SSA to
hear this! This Info APAR is in fact a result of the combined efforts of the
IBM Helpline and the SSA AS/400 Technical Helplines! This APAR was only put
up a few months ago (long after V4R2 was released).

There are entries in the FAQ section of SSA OGS Online that mention the new
APAR . . . . listed under FAQ questions such as "Are there any known issues
with BPCS at V4R3?"

I don't think there was/is a good way for SSA Helpline to let every customer
in the world know about something like this existing, really, except via
their own web site on OGS. If you're upgrading hardware/software - ask and
search around is the best motto - preferable BEFORE you do the upgrade :-)

Of course if you like to stay on the "bleeding edge" of technology the answer
may not always be readily available and you may be the 'guinea pig' so to
speak. :-) Remember, somebody has to 'discover' all the performance issues,
PTFs and other things that relate to BPCS the hard way -- via their own
frustrating problems! At least the Helplines are making an attempt to save
others the same frustration when they upgrade, via this APAR; so I wouldn't
knock 'em too hard.

You can also hit BPCS related issues by searching the IBM AS/400 Service site
(http://as400service.rochester.ibm.com) in the APAR section and search on
'BPCS' - BPCS by name is mentioned in several known APAR issues! You don't
even need a password for the APAR and PTF cover letters search sections. It
is also wierd to figure out how to use it well, but a very useful site once
you get the hang of it.

For the uninitiated to IBM-speak, APARs are the problem reports ('Authorized
Problem Analysis Reports), PTFs are the fixes for the APARs. APARs can also
be closed as Informational - that's when they get the 'II' pre-fix. The APARs
can tend to be more detailed than the cover letters, from what I have
noticed. Then you can search the PTF pages for the APAR number and find the
related fixes (if any are available yet). An APAR closed out as code 'PER'
means 'Program in ERror' and it is either going to be a PTF shortly or does
have a PTF already. IBM Helpline can tell you more details that don't show up
on the web site, like if a test fix is available for example.

+---